Can I keep unlimited data if I purchase my device at full retail price?
kariya
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know this has been discussed many times around here.  I've dug around some but have not quite found the answer I'm looking for.

I'm currently on a month-to-month because my last phone I had to buy at full price.  Reason 1 being the previous phone crapped out on me 2 weeks before my contract was up and reason 2 being I wanted to keep my unlimited data.

I know that there have been talks of unlimited data going away but I'm not sure if that is for contract people or people like me who are month to month or perhaps even both.

So my question is, if I were to get a new phone in the near future and pay full price for it, would I be able to keep my unlimited data?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Buying new phone - unlimited data
B33
Legend

To the Question you asked the answer is yes you pay full retail you retain your unlimited.. the only thing that would change what your wanting to do and what I did and several have done on this forum and retained there Unlimited is for Verizon to officially announce there pulling all unlimited plans away from customers if they do that then it the end for Unlimited) 

So go with your heart and if the feeling is to stay unlimited pay the full retail and join us customers that are already running our plans month to monthSmiley Happy b33

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

You be able to keep your unlimited data for now. Verizon can take that away in a month from now or in 10 years. Once you're month to month all Verizon has to do is give you 30 days notice of a change.

B33
Legend

Weir's the facts on that the prof.!  I just went month to month and there are several on this forum that still have there unlimited and are month to month customers)  going on hear say is just what it is hear say..  so until factual prof is shown that going month to month is subject to losing your unlimited I'll go with the notion that all things will remain the same until an official announcement is made..

0 Likes
B33
Legend

To the Question you asked the answer is yes you pay full retail you retain your unlimited.. the only thing that would change what your wanting to do and what I did and several have done on this forum and retained there Unlimited is for Verizon to officially announce there pulling all unlimited plans away from customers if they do that then it the end for Unlimited) 

So go with your heart and if the feeling is to stay unlimited pay the full retail and join us customers that are already running our plans month to monthSmiley Happy b33

0 Likes
kariya
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks guys.  Appreciate it.

If they decided to take it away, it'd be nice if they gave existing customers some sort of discount.  I read somewhere where there was like a 6 gig plan for $30 or $40.  That would've worked perfectly for me.  But alas, I don't think it's around anymore.

I guess I'll see how long I can keep going on the month to month before they take it away.  Hopefully never, but I guess I'll weigh my options when it comes times.  I like Verizon because it does give me the best coverage.  But if another carrier (such as T-Mobile), will give me unlimited, even if it's throttled after a point, then I may go with that.

B33
Legend

O yea they still offer the 6 Gig Data plan that is what i was looking at when I bought my Droid Maxx if your not a heavy Data user you would probably be fine going with it..  There are two ways you can see how much Data you've used in the past 3 to 6 months one is by visiting your my Verizon or when you visit your local Verizon store a Rep can run and print one out for you to see from you can then decide to go with this plan and if you do you can get your phone at the Reduced price) 

On my phone I did go as i mention month to month and i payed full retail for my Droid Maxx but I didn't have to pay the $ 35 dollar upgrade fee because of paying the full retail price. Smiley Happy b33

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is a 30 Upgrade Fee. http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/04/bl2012-04-11.html

The Activation Fee is $35.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kariya
Enthusiast - Level 2

But with that share everything plan they try to throw you on, the 6 gig one would cost me like $40 on top of what I'm paying now, while that one I was talking about would only cost like an extra $10.  For someone with one device, that share everything plan is a ripoff.

And yea, when I paid full price for my phone I paid no upgrade fee.  I'm not even entirely sure I paid an activation fee.  The rep in the store did everything for me.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

B33
Legend

Yea.. For as go with another 2 two contract.!  in my case paying full retail that excluded any up grade fees I payed for the phone it was put on my line and I walked out of the store,  I programmed it when I got home.. pretty simple

0 Likes
B33
Legend

yup understandable on that plan.. for me it was a no-brainer just go with the full retail and in by doing that you can still use that line as and upgrade since paying the full retail price Smiley Happy b

0 Likes