Can I cancel the contract if there's no service at my home?
Xyrium
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Folks,

I recently switched to Verizon with my wife in order to take advantage of the family plan. However, now, neither one of us get service at our place of residence. I sometimes get one bar on the phone, which is useless in terms of service (I can't even send a text). I have the HTC Incredible, and she got the Samsung Fascinate, and neither of us get service at home. Has anyone been able to cancel their contract with a provider when the provider actually fails to provide service to a location of importance (primary location), without having to pay cancellation fees?

I don't want to have to deal with small claims court or anything of that ilk, so it would be great to know that providers are wiling to suck it up to lack of service.

Thanks,

Paul

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I cancel the contract if there's no service at my home?
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Xyrium wrote:

Hi Mdram, thanks for the reply.

Yes, both phones get service in other locations. Unfortunately, we're going on 60 days now. I'm been complacent in addressing this issue I suppose.

Yes, we have Fios as well. However, is this network extender something that Verizon would provide at no cost that yuo know of?

Regards,

Paul

i do not beleive it can be had free

website lists it at 249.99

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?&action=gotoFemtocell

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Xyrium wrote:

Hello Folks,

I recently switched to Verizon with my wife in order to take advantage of the family plan. However, now, neither one of us get service at our place of residence. I sometimes get one bar on the phone, which is useless in terms of service (I can't even send a text). I have the HTC Incredible, and she got the Samsung Fascinate, and neither of us get service at home. Has anyone been able to cancel their contract with a provider when the provider actually fails to provide service to a location of importance (primary location), without having to pay cancellation fees?

I don't want to have to deal with small claims court or anything of that ilk, so it would be great to know that providers are wiling to suck it up to lack of service.

Thanks,

Paul

i think they have a 30day policy for new subs, but you will have a prorated bill, activation feees, ect

do the phones work other places?

do you have high speed internet? a network extender would fix in home issues

0 Likes
Xyrium
Enthusiast - Level 3

BTW, I've done the *228 thing to no avail. I fail to believe that this has ever done anything for any provider...if phones aren't smart enough to search for the closest signal, then there's a bigger issue at play.

Xyrium
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, both phones get service in other locations. Unfortunately, we're going on 60 days now. I'm been complacent in addressing this issue I suppose.

Yes, we have Fios as well. However, is this network extender something that Verizon would provide at no cost that yuo know of?

Regards,

Paul

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Xyrium wrote:

Regards,

Paul

i do not beleive it can be had free

website lists it at 249.99

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?&action=gotoFemtocell

0 Likes
Xyrium
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ouch, that's steep.

Well, let's see how my conversation with cust.omer service goes then. Maybe they'll offer a solution for everyone in my area.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Didn't you notice this within the first thirty days??? That was your period to get out of the contract. Now, you are obligated to fulfill what you agreed to unless you are willing to pay the ETF.

Samll claims would be a waste of time and money as the contract you signed spells out the rules.

The extender with FIOS is a very viable possibility and there have been some subs who have been able to the the 3G extender at far less than the going rate. Being a FIOS customer may be your best ace in getting the price reduced.

0 Likes
Xyrium
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes. As indicated in my original third post, I agreed that it was my fault for waiting so long. Thanks for reiterating with great enthusiasm though. :smileywink: 

That's good info about discounts on the extender. It might be the best alternative, and an acceptable one given my lack of effort early in the contract.

Thanks folks!

Paul

0 Likes
Grothka
Contributor - Level 3
If you were told that you would have service when you signed the contract you might have a shot at getting the etf waived... maybe, the main problem now is that you kept the service through the first 30 days when you knew that it wasn't working (like you've already mentioned). Normally the only time carriers are willing to let you out of a contract for lack of service is if an area where you were previously able to recieve service just randomly stops recieving service..
0 Likes