Can I activate a phone that wasn't used with my current phone number?
mws_1984
Contributor - Level 1

Had my phone go broken and Verizon wants too much to replace it since I didn't have insurance. It was a basic phone and my contract runs out in February. So had the idea to get a new phone cheap on ebay but even then it's not worth it because I'll be buying a phone that they won't give any trade in value on anyways.

So if I was able to find a phone that someone else used is it possible to activate it with my own # if that makes sense? Trying to find something cheap from a friend or somewhere. Just to get by til February when I decide what to do with my plan.I'm currently using a 4 year old slider phone and don't think I can take it for another 6 months. Only using it to get by in the mean time.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I activate a phone that wasn't used with my current phone number?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are buying off eBay, have the seller provide you with the ESN or IMEI so you can verify that it is "clean (not listed as  lost or stolen device).  It must be branded Verizon, and have a clean ESN.  If it was formerly a pre-paid devcie, it must have been used for at least 6 months on a prepaid account before you can activate it on your post paid account.

If you have a friend with Verizon who has an older phone laying around (I know we have a few that we've collected over the years that we keep as spares) you can borrow that for the next few months. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

YYes.

0 Likes
mws_1984
Contributor - Level 1

And how would I do that? I am talking to support now and they say I can try but they won't guarantee it. Kind of stuck here, considering getting a phone off ebay that is Verizon capable, but don't want to buy if I may not be able to even activate it with my phone #.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are buying off eBay, have the seller provide you with the ESN or IMEI so you can verify that it is "clean (not listed as  lost or stolen device).  It must be branded Verizon, and have a clean ESN.  If it was formerly a pre-paid devcie, it must have been used for at least 6 months on a prepaid account before you can activate it on your post paid account.

If you have a friend with Verizon who has an older phone laying around (I know we have a few that we've collected over the years that we keep as spares) you can borrow that for the next few months. 

0 Likes