Call signal issues in 08837
jeepguy11

Hello all,

This is my first Verizon Community post, so I'm still getting the hang of it.  If I post in the wrong area or as the wrong type of post I apologize.

I have had wireless service problems at my residence for a few months now that are new.  I drop calls between once a week to two-three times per day.  I am finally dissatisfied enough with my service to reach out to the community for assistance.  There are only two things that have changed in the last year and a half that may or may not contribute to the issue:

1 - I have a new device

2 - I commute to a different city for work.

I have ruled out the device issue by rolling back to an older phone that had no issues during its two year activity on my account.  (I switched from a Droid MAXX back down to a Droid X.)  This rollback provided no service improvement.  (And yes, I used *228 for the activation as well as the update of roaming capabilities.)  I used this phone for a week exhibited the same garbled voice on the other end that steadily gets worse over the course of one minute to ten minutes before a disconnect, where the phone alerts saying that the "Call was lost."

Upon switching back to the Droid MAXX, the store I went to installed a new SIM card.  The phone seemed to work without issue for two days before my first dropped call after putting it back on the account.  So, I can safely say that I've done all I can to troubleshoot the device as a consumer without a service ticket.

2 - I commute approximately 30 miles to my job. If I dropped a call at home after I've returned from work, it seemed that at one point in time, if I were to turn the phone off, then back on, the garbled voice and seemingly weak signal would improve greatly.  This lead me to believe that there may be an issue with the phone not "hopping over" to a closer cell.  IF that were the case and it was still tethered to a cell tower further away, it would stand to reason that service would suffer.  However, this is just a theory, and technically was ruled out when the old phone was put back into service, UNLESS there was a change on the network level.  This is an area I have no experience with, so I can't 100% confirm any theories.

Today, I cycled the power on my phone before I placed a call, and the phone didn't even ring once before the connection was dropped; the phone said "Call was lost." 

What else can I do to troubleshoot?  Am I going to have to call Verizon and ask them to test the service in the area?  I have been a customer since 2003 and this is the first time I have been disappointed to the point of reaching out.  The primary reason I've stayed with Verizon is because of their network quality.  If this can't be resolved, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pursue an alternative cell provider.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Call signal issues in 08837
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jeepguy11,

Providing you with superior service and excellent customer service is the number one priority here at Verizon Wireless. I am sorry to hear that you having trouble with your phone but we will work to get this resolved for you. What is your zip code? Do other users have the same issues in the area that you are aware of?

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jeepguy11

Hello Candice,

Thanks for your reply.  My zip code is 08837.  I currently haven't really asked anyone if they have the same issue.  However after reading your question I thought to ask my brother if he had any issues with his cell phone in the house and he said no.  He has a Samsung Galaxy S4.

It could be a Motorola issue then.  My old test phone (The Droid X I mentioned in my initial post) is Motorola and exhibited the same behavior during the week I used it where it showed no symptoms during the whole time it was current technology. The Droid MAXX also likes to restart itself a lot lately. It seemed to happen more frequently after the last software update.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for following up, jeepguy. I don't notice a strain of network issues in the area. I was uncertain if the issue is occurring in multiple places. Is the network issue specifically occurring at the new workplace?

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport.

0 Likes
jeepguy11

Hello Yosef,

Actually the problem is dominant at my residence. The problem does happen

sometimes at work, but with all the high rises there, I expected some

interruption. Going outside of my house only helps the signal about half

of the time. Weather doesn't seem to affect it either way. Time of day

doesn't seem to be a factor either.

On Jan 3, 2015 12:23 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Gotcha. I appreciate the insight. Do you experience any issues with text message while at your home location? I ask because text messages and voice run off the same network. Do you have any issues with data within the area? I assume you're predominately on Wi-Fi but did want to see if other services are effected.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jeepguy11

The little cellular data usage I go through seems to be fine. Text

messaging fails once in a while, but I can't remember the last time it

has. When it does, cycling airplane mode usually corrects it. Of it

doesn't, cycling the phone's power does.

The phone dropped a call yesterday abruptly. The signal didn't

disintegrate before dropping because it didn't have a chance to. It's the

weirdest thing.

On Jan 3, 2015 7:45 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jeepguy11,

I understand, thanks for the additional details. Have you always had these problems at home and work? Are you aware of anyone else having a similar or same problem? Let's try the phone in Safe Mode http://vz.to/1xDHm4s for at least a couple hours, let me know if it improves. Also, go to Settings>More>Mobile Networks>Network Mode>LTE/CDMA.

AdaS_VZW

0 Likes
jeepguy11

Hello Adas,

No, these issues have started about a year ago and seemed to have

progressed over time. My previous phone would drop a call on occasion at

home, but it was maybe once every several months. The only person I've

asked about service is my brother, and he has no issues (galaxy s4) I'll

try safe mode and respond back.

On Jan 6, 2015 8:34 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the reply and details jeepguy11. Does he live in the same area, your brother? Let me know how it functions with Safe Mode and changing the network mode please. Also, do you notice the problem during calls with a specific caller or number you call?

AdaS_VZW

0 Likes