CDMA Shutdown
KenHx
Enthusiast - Level 2

With the coming shutdown of CDMA (3G) I’m getting conflicting information.  I understand voice service will be shut down on December 31, 2020.  It’s important I get a clear answer to this question as we have a dozen of 3G modems used in remote IoT applications. 

0 Likes
Re: CDMA Shutdown
KenHx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I forgot to mention its the Data Only service I need to find out if it's shutting down.

0 Likes
NewOldcustomer
Contributor - Level 2

All cdma will be closed out, both 3g voice and data.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/

Weth
Legend

confirming @NewOldcustomer 

all cdma, voice and data.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how important it is for you to better understand what changes will be made based on the description of how this helps your business. In which zip are you located? Do you have a spectrum listing of the signal bandwidth your devices will pick up?

NicholeK_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, which offers superior coverage and performance compared to previous generation networks. We are doing this in phases over the next yea. For example, those who had CDMA Basic Phones, we no offer Basic Phones that have HD Voice. See link for options: https://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/ . If you have any questions, please let us know. -BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
KenHx
Enthusiast - Level 2

What I'm  looking for is conformation that CDMA Data Only devices will be shut down as well.  I understand the voice and smartphone shutdown.  As for Zip codes, how about the entire United States.  We have a couple  that are roaming.

0 Likes
NewOldcustomer
Contributor - Level 2

@KenHx wrote:

What I'm  looking for is conformation that CDMA Data Only devices will be shut down as well.  I understand the voice and smartphone shutdown.  As for Zip codes, how about the entire United States.  We have a couple  that are roaming.

We keep saying "yes".   Yup, affirmative, correct.  All of the USA, anywhere that Verizon provides service.  
There will be no CDMA network anymore.  That means that any device that does not operate on LTE will no longer work at all.   
I think the confusion is coming from comments about  'voice over LTE'. There are devices which are compatible with data over LTE but because they are not voice over LTE compatible those devices will lose voice service when CDMA shuts down. 
many older iPhones which are LTE devices like iPhone 5s will no longer work when CDMA shuts down for voice service. Those devices must be replaced.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question. With regard to the devices included we can only speak on the basic DCMA devices at this time. As we move on to the next phases in improvements other devices may also be removed as well. At this time we are unable to confirm that for you. Does this make sense? JasperM_VZW

0 Likes