Blackberry to IPhone with Grandfathered Data?
JetRocket
Enthusiast - Level 3

My parents have an old grandfathered plan and a Blackberry with a 150 MB/month Data Allowance feature.

I have a Verizon IPhone 4 that I would like to activate instead of the Blackberry?

Has anyone ever done this? Will I be able to do this while keeping the 150 MB Data feature and using that for the IPhone or will they require that I switch to the new plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry to IPhone with Grandfathered Data?
rcschnoor
Legend

You should not have to change the data plan if you choose not to when you activate a smartphone in your possession on an active line of service.  Keep in mind, 150 MB is not a LARGE amount of data. I am assuming you are on the $15 150 MB/month data package. Overages on this package are, I believe, $15 for an additional 150 MB. You could increase your data to a tiered plan with 2 GB/month for this same $30. That is more than 6 times the data if you think you will have overages.

Once you switch, you will not be able to switch back, though, and should make any changes after this consideration.

0 Likes
JetRocket
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that 150 MB is not much. However it is enough for my dad who mainly just uses it for email and Facebook. He had this 150 MB allowance for over 2 years now and the most he has ever used is 86 MB.

I did look at the Share Everything plan. However it comes out to be about $70 more than what they are paying now.

They currently have Nationwide Tlk&Txt Share 700 family share plan with 4 phones on the account and only 1 phone has data with the Exception Only Datapk 150MB feature.

So my main concern was regarding what would happen if I took off the Blackberry and activated the IPhone 4 which we already have. Just want to make sure that the Exception Only Datapk 150MB feature would remain. They dont want to switch plans at this time and just want to be able to use the Iphone instead of the Blackberry for data.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, I was not talking about the Share Everything plan when mentioning switching to tiered data. You should be able to keep your Nationwide T&T plan and just change your data plan from the $15/month for 150 MB to the $30/month for 2 GB. Then your monthly bill would only increase by $15/month.

Also keep in mind, the iPhone sends/receives data differently than a BB. I believe BB servers compress data prior to sending it to the phone. At least this is how I understood it with the older BB phones. Not sure if it is the same with the new BB Z10.  This will not be the case with the iPhone. Performing the same tasks will most likely use more data with the iPhone.

0 Likes