Bad coverage at home
jfriend00
Enthusiast - Level 3

We live in a suburban area (city of Los Altos, CA) in the middle of a neighborhood.  The Verizon coverage at our house is just bad.  Calls often do not work unless we walk outside.  Mobile data often doesn't work unless I walk down the street.  We have Verizon because the coverage in the SF Bay Area is generally good, but as we use our mobile phones more and more for our main point of contact for people to reach us including while we're at home, it's just driving us nuts that coverage does not work well at our own home.  We have 5 phones on our plan with 10GB of data and may have to consider other carriers if Verizon does not improve our coverage.

Some of our Android phones are experimenting with using WiFi calling at home, but that has handoff issues when leaving the house or arriving home and when trying that with iPhones they seem to miss calls and that was a disaster so that's considered untenable.  So, we want Verizon to fix the 4G coverage in our neighborhood or we will have to consider moving all our phones to another network.

How do I report this to Verizon and make sure our voice is added to any others in our area so Verizon knows this is a problem that needs fixing?  I can provide a precise address in private if needed.

Labels (1)
Re: Bad coverage at home
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

1-800-922-0204 to report the issues and open a trouble ticket.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Or you could get a landline. I have heard that they always work inside.

jfriend00
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very cute sprmankalel.  We have a landline and use it, but if you read the question itself, we want people to be able to reach us on our cell phones while at home.  And, when we give a business our mobile number so they can reach us whether we are at home or not, they call the mobile number because that's what they have.

A good cell phone service should work at your home.  If Verizon doesn't care to be a good service where we live, then we will be forced to find a different service that works better for us.  My question is how to best provide this feedback to Verizon (online submission preferred so I can avoid the great call system pit of time wastage).

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

There is never a guarantee of indoor coverage from any carrier. There are too may limiting factors.

0 Likes
jfriend00
Enthusiast - Level 3

If the coverage is so poor, that data won't work until I walk a block down the street and voice will only work outside the house, then Verizon will lose our business.  I'm just trying to find a place to tell them that so if lots of others in our neighborhood are giving them the same feedback, they might decide it's worth their while to do something about it.  Yes, they are probably just a ginormous company that never listens to their customers, but if by some minute chance they actually have a scheme for keeping track of customer's complaints about coverage in order to influence their investments, I'd like to contribute to that feedback.  That's all I'm asking here.  

I don't appreciate you telling me that I should not expect my wireless network to work.  That's downright silly and provides no benefit here at all. 

If Verizon can't meet my needs, I will find another carrier who can.  I'm not paying several hundred dollars a month for a service that doesn't work.  It is not unreasonable to expect that you can make and receive wireless calls from your home when you live in a typical suburban area.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You’re missing the point. Have you read your customer agreement? I suggest you do so. It states that there is no guarantee of connectivity inside. Call that what you will but Verizon has no control over that.

If your data data doesn’t work inside then your WiFi should make up for it.

Verizon also knows EXACTLY where coverage issues lie. It would be your local government that prevents Verizon for doing anything to fix it.

If you‘d read ANY other post on this subject I wouldn’t be repeating this information. Your issue and you post is not new.

Maybe Be I was snarky in my first response but a simple search of the community would have given you all the information you’ve requested. This is not a direct line to Verizon. That is 1-800-922-0204.

0 Likes
tami3133
Enthusiast - Level 1

Fyi, I don't have wifi where I live.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Unless you are jfriend00 and using a different screen name, my responses weren't for you.

jfriend00
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, you're missing the point.  I never said Verizon had a contractual agreement to provide coverage inside my house.  This is not a contractual thing.  This is about a service that is good enough to meet my needs that I'll continue to pay for it.  If they don't have good enough coverage inside my house that the cell phone will reliably ring and receive text messages when on the charger at home, then I will find a different service that does have good enough coverage for that.  Simple as that.

You and I both know that if the coverage right outside the home is good enough and I don't have some unusual construction home (it's just a wood home with no metal in the frame), then it will work decently inside too.  I simply won't pay for a service that isn't strong enough outside to work decently inside.  And, many millennials these days don't even have a landline so they would ALL be in this same boat too.

All, I'm looking for is the best way to inform Verizon, so if others in my neighborhood are also complaining, Verizon might decide to prioritize doing something about it.  It's up to them whether they actually do anything.  If they choose not to, then I will just pick a different carrier when our current phones are paid off.

You're smoking something if you think Verizon knows house by house where there are coverage issues serious enough to cause customers to leave.  They should know general areas of better and weaker coverage, but not to a house by house level and probably not to a precise enough level that they could know when customers will actually leave their service.  Without direct customer feedback, they can't know to that level of granularity.  So, I'm trying to add to that customer feedback and I may also solicit some other neighbors on Verizon to let them know too.

If, in these days of the internet, calling a phone number and weighing through a phone tree is still the only way to report this, then I guess I will have to do that (as time-wasting an effort as that often is).

My issue is new to me.  This site does not make it easy to weigh through thousands of other posts to find someone else who might have wanted similar information as I did.  Excuse me for using the site for what is intended.  I'm having a hard time understanding why you have such a chip on your shoulder against a customer that just wants a wireless network that can deliver calls and text messages inside their house.  Very odd you would challenge that as a reasonable expectation for good service and service one is willing to pay hundreds of dollars a month for.  And, on top of that, challenge my interest in telling Verizon about the issue. Just odd.  Thanks for the phone number.