Backup Assistant omitting contacts; also incomplete on Google
applewuud

We just set up Backup Assistant on our Droid X to back up the Contacts (that aren't available when you mount the Droid X as a USB device, unfortunately...I wish you could just drag your Contacts to your computer). 

Right after doing the backup (using Sync Now on the Droid), we noticed that there weren't as many contacts on the Verizon web page as on the phone.  Then, we edited one of the contacts on the Verizon page (added a birth date and a note) and pressed the Sync Phone on the Backup Assistant page.  It processed for a while, said "Sync Successful" on the Droid, but then, on the phone, that edited contact is missing.  It's still there on the Backup Assistant page.  We waited overnight for an automatic backup:  it's still not there. 

OK, so then we went to Google, which is set up to sync Contacts on the Droid; we were unaware of that feature on Google.  But the Google contact list is even smaller than the Backup Assistant list. 

We've followed all the procedures  in the Droid X manual, and the other things recommended on the Support pages.  No change. 

Any advice?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Backup Assistant omitting contacts; also incomplete on Google
EGT

MORE DETAILS

There are about 104 contacts in the phone, 59 on Backup Assistant, 17 on Google. 

When we added a new test contact on Backup Assistant and synced, it did add that contact to the phone.  But even though we edited the "missing" contact in Backup Assistant and saved it, it wouldn't add her to the phone's list. 

0 Likes
EGT

OK, now through some research I see that, unlike our expectation that Google Contacts would receive ALL contacts, it only receives contacts that were made on Google Contacts in the first place, not ones that were made on the phone. 

Question:    Does Backup Assistant ONLY sync contacts that were made on the phone? 

All the documentation about contact syncing from Google, Motorola, and Verizon is very spotty and not integrated.  "Droid X For Dummies" isn't much better. 

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

What accounts do you have set up to sync to your Droid X? 

I've found that with my Ally, any contact I enter is automatically saved into my Google contacts, and I'm able to access/edit any contact either through the web-based Google Contacts or my phone and see the changes reflected in the other location.  The only account I have set up on my phone is my Gmail account.

If you have more than one Gmail account, or a Facebook account, it may be saving those contacts to one of those places.  To make sure everything is backed up, I would go to your Contacts, tap the "menu" key and then choose "Import/Export" to save all the contacts on the phone.  With that file, you can then upload the contacts into the Google, Backup Assistant or Facebook account of your choice.

0 Likes