Asurion Insurance
jdorafsha1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been a Verizon customer with both business and family accounts for over 10 years. Have always received excellent customer care and service over the years and regard Verizon as a top rated company.

I recently purchased two iphone 7s for my teenage kids and decided to purchase the "TOTAL" Equipment protection plan for the phones since teenagers have a habit of breaking/losing phones. Sure enough, my daughter dropped her phone and cracked the screen a couple of days ago.

So feeling confident that I have "TOTAL" protection, I proceeded to try to file a claim through the insurance provider (Asurion). To my surprise, I realized that I have to pay a $199 deductible, which makes this a "PARTIAL" equipment plan and not a "TOTAL" equipment plan. This is maybe OK for a small company but it is not a good sales practice for Verizon to have their representatives present and sell the protection plans as "TOTAL" equipment coverage over the phone without mentioning the deductibles associated with the plan. After all, a customer does not have access to the plan's details while on the phone with the representative purchasing new phones. It is only fair for the sales representatives to tell the whole story including the deductibles so customers can make an informed decision while on the phone.

Now, we come to the other issue, which is Asurion insurance. This outfit sure sounds and feels like a scam. They want me to pay $199 to replace my 3 month old Iphone 7 because of a cracked screen. On top of that, Asurion claims the phones are on back order, so I have to wait for god knows how long to get another phone. and to make matters worst, I will most likely end up with a refurbished phone while giving up a 3 month old phone.

I called the local apple store and found out I can get the screen repaired for $129 in a couple of hours. Compare this to the "TOTAL" equipment coverage I signed up for and you see why I'm upset. I think a company as good as Verizon should find a better protection plan/insurance company than Asurion, whom really look like a sham.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Asurion Insurance
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep. Insurance = premiums + deductibles. No matter if it is car, home renters or phone insurance.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

mflandshark
Contributor - Level 3

I personally use them all the time my family seems to enjoy destroying, losing and cracking phones. It comes in handy to only pay the 199.00 to get a replacement for a stolen or destroyed phone. Sometimes if its just a screen crack yeah it is cheaper to go to apple or a repair place to get it taken care of but if you lose the phone or it gets stolen 199 is a lot cheaper than $750+ for another phone.

Also its insurance just like car insurance or renters insurance you have a deductible for any claims that you make and a lot of the time they do in fact send you a used phone (which is stupid in my opinion but I understand why they do it).

All of the deductible pricing was in the big packet of information that they send out when ever you first get the insurance I still have a few of mine (I have 7 phones all with coverage.) All of the information on deductibles are in there for you to check out when you first sign up for it.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep. Insurance = premiums + deductibles. No matter if it is car, home renters or phone insurance.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can get the screen fixed/replaced, as that would be less expensive than the deductible for the replacement phone, and you could keep the same, almost new phone.

From this point forward, decide if the premium is worth it for replacement if the phone is lost or stolen, now that you know about the deductible.  If not, cancel the insurance and save the money.  We kept the insurance on my daughter's new phone for about 6 months, just in case, then figured we'd just save the premium cost and replace her phone out of pocket if needed.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

All of these are great ways to look at insurance. I understand the concern you may have when it comes to the deductible but it is so worth it. I just paid $199 to replace my lost iPhone 7+. Although it did make me cringe a little to pay the $199, when I think of paying that amount versus the $800 plus it would of cost me full retail. i got over it real fast.

AnthonyM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

TOTAL equipment coverage means that you have a replacement option in the event of physical/liquid damage and loss/theft AS WELL AS after the manufacturers warranty expires.

Take the broken screen out of the equation because you can get this replaced. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing this with Apple directly but you go wherever you choose. If you didn't have this protection and say the phone was left in a cab, on the bus or train how would you replace it? Full cost at $650 or more depending on the model. Also, after a year, you have no protection against defect at all. Apple won't help you and VZW won't help. If the phone stops charging at day 367 and you don't have this protection you would be required to pay the rest of what you owe and get a new phone on a DPP or buy the new phone outright. WITH this protection and as long as there is no physical or liquid damage to the device, if it stops charging at day 367, VZW will send you a free replacement.

It is called Insurance and Asurion sends you this information about a week after you enroll in the program. Keep in mind, they are also a separate company not part of the Verizon network.

0 Likes
reedjb51

My phone will not charge anymore.  I can go to Batteries Plus place and for 89.00 they will order part and fix my s-9 phone.  Ausion wants me to pay 149.00  fill out some form they will send me another phone.This is dumb.  The reason I have insurance is to fix my phone.  I cannot afford 149.00  They should pay the 89.00 And my phone fixed.  Here in Idaho Falls, Idaho.  149.00 pays for phone they would send me.  Feel like being scamed.  I want keep my phone I have insurance should pay to have it repaired.  Right here in town.  Really terrible.  Never was told what insurance intailed.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@reedjb51 wrote:

My phone will not charge anymore.  I can go to Batteries Plus place and for 89.00 they will order part and fix my s-9 phone.  Ausion wants me to pay 149.00  fill out some form they will send me another phone.This is dumb.  The reason I have insurance is to fix my phone.  I cannot afford 149.00  They should pay the 89.00 And my phone fixed.  Here in Idaho Falls, Idaho.  149.00 pays for phone they would send me.  Feel like being scamed.  I want keep my phone I have insurance should pay to have it repaired.  Right here in town.  Really terrible.  Never was told what insurance intailed.

The only insurance with no deductible is life insurance.  If you can get your  battery replaced cheaper than $149, then go ahead.  But it's your choice and you won't have any warranty on the repair through Verizon. 

Tags (1)
0 Likes