Antivirus App Needed?
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Finally getting my very first smartphone. (HTC DInc 2).

Do I need to install an antivirus/anti-malware app? Should this be one of the very first things I do after activating?

Thanks for your advice. I'll appreciate any other security tips as well.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Antivirus App Needed?
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

No answer from anyone, so I did some research and will supply my own answer:

No, an anti-virus app is not absolutely necessary, since there are hardly any Android exploits in the wild at this time. But it's only a matter of time, given Android's popularity, so may as well install an anti-virus app ASAP.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

No answer from anyone, so I did some research and will supply my own answer:

No, an anti-virus app is not absolutely necessary, since there are hardly any Android exploits in the wild at this time. But it's only a matter of time, given Android's popularity, so may as well install an anti-virus app ASAP.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That's actually a lot out in the wild.  A lot have been removed from the market when found, but there could still be some in the market.  The largest problem will arise from side loading(apps found outside the market).  If you install apps from the outside you have greater risks running into them.

I would like to add if there is a new one out and hits the wild there is very little virus protection can do.  It has to hit the wild in order for apps like these to detect and to remove said virus.  It's good when you jump in for the first time to make sure you don't get the older ones, but as time progresses you have to worry about what's new and if they can be detected by your antivirus programs.

Personally I don't use one.  I feel it's a waste of time and resource.  

0 Likes
screamn7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

A very good question, as i do not have an anti-virus app installed either.

I have owned a Droid Razr Maxx for just over 1 week, so I am new to smartphone world.  To me, it's like having a small mobile computer.   I thought that having an antivirus would be important as well, but between the cost of having it already on four home computers I thought, "Oh, not another renewal fee".  So here is what I tried:  My personal laptop has the most upgraded version of Norton Antivirus, and after connecting the Droid via USB to it, I was able to use NAV to scan the smartphone just like any other drive connected to my PC without any additional apps.    Now there are a few things of course we would all have to consider. 1) Can NAV even detect a virus on a smartphone?  2) Did the NAV scan the apps or just the SD/internal memory?  I cannot yet answer all of these questions, but at least it is a start.  I do know that my NAV has a new option to actually scan a facebook page, and detects tracking cookies on a PC, so that is pretty impressive.  Also, that if you recently downloaded an app, and your smartphone is not working properly, you can use the safemode function (power + volume up/down) to delete your most recent to see if the app is corrupted.  If I find out any more on this I will try and post it.  Next project: a malware scan test of the smartphone.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

screamn7 wrote:

Hi,

My personal laptop has the most upgraded version of Norton Antivirus, and after connecting the Droid via USB to it, I was able to use NAV to scan the smartphone just like any other drive connected to my PC without any additional apps.    Now there are a few things of course we would all have to consider. 1) Can NAV even detect a virus on a smartphone?  2) Did the NAV scan the apps or just the SD/internal memory?...

Also, that if you recently downloaded an app, and your smartphone is not working properly, you can use the safemode function (power + volume up/down) to delete your most recent to see if the app is corrupted.  If I find out any more on this I will try and post it.  Next project: a malware scan test of the smartphone.

My guess to #2 above would be that it's scanning ONLY the SD card -  because that's all the computer sees when the phone is connected via USB.  All you see is what's on the memory card, correct?   As far as #1, you'd probably have to contact Norton to see if their definitions include smartphone anomalies and rogue apps.

Your advice to be aware of what you have installed, and if the phone starts misbehaving, begin with the most recently installed app and work from there.

0 Likes
screamn7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually, the NAV (PC) can scan both the internal memory and the SD memory.   After looking at the NAV Forum, I found the  free Norton Mobile Security Lite in the Android Market and just installed.  It as a Malware scanner so in my opinion that is the way to go if you want to add some extra protection to your smartphone.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

screamn7 wrote:

Actually, the NAV (PC) can scan both the internal memory and the SD memory. Good information to know - thanks!

After looking at the NAV Forum, I found the  free Norton Mobile Security Lite in the Android Market and just installed.  It as a Malware scanner so in my opinion that is the way to go if you want to add some extra protection to your smartphone.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I disagree with you opinion on if AntiVirus apps are need, like others has posted there has been a number of items found and removed from the Market already and there is always a risk of a infection gets through and infect your device...  

Users has been having issues recently with there device being spammed through the status bar and the users had to go through a few loops to identified the application that had the spam preloaded..  This should be enough to tell you that the risk of a device getting infected ins required and applications like Lookout is aquiped with spam and virus protection.

You are free with your view of what is needed but no matter what OS you are using you can be at risk...  Anything made by man can be bypassed by man.

0 Likes