After porting out a phone number, how long until service is fully disconnected?
UberJason

Hi,

I have a Nationwide FamilyShare plan that supports five lines (and all five are in use). Yesterday I ported one of our phone numbers out to Google Voice, which should result in disconnection of that line, and it currently shows as "suspended". I want to add a new line onto the plan to replace that one, but I wasn't able to do so from Best Buy or from a Verizon Wireless store, apparently because the line isn't actually disconnected yet - just the service is suspended, I guess.

(The backstory is that we had all five lines used, but wanted to add another family member to our plan, so we decided to take one of our family off of the plan and put him on a different plan, but he wanted to keep his phone number and was interested in Google Voice's services. So we ported his number to GV, assuming this would disconnect his line, allowing us to add a new line.)

So my question is, how long does it take after porting out a phone number (to Google Voice or to anywhere else) before your service is fully disconnected? I asked three customer reps and got three different answers (one had no idea, one said 3-5 hours, and one said end of the billing cycle). If the answer is "at the end of the billing cycle", is there any way at all to expedite the process? Our billing cycle doesn't end for almost three weeks and I just don't want to have to wait that long to add a new line for this new family member.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: After porting out a phone number, how long until service is fully disconnected?
B33
Legend

Well it can depend on when Verizon want's to turn it Loose of the number they like to keep stuff as is as long as the Law allows but i done some Searching and Found this Link you may want to Look at it..

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en

0 Likes
Re: After porting out a phone number, how long until service is fully disconnected?
B33
Legend

One other thing i'd suggest doing.. Do a Google Search & type in the Following)

(How to Port your Number to Google Voice by Whitson Gordon he has some Good Tips on doing this)  Good Luck Smiley Happy b33

0 Likes
UberJason

Hi B33,

Thanks for your help, but sadly I'd already seen that link - I know it takes 24 hours on Google's end, but it seems to be taking longer on Verizon's end (two days longer since and the line is still not disconnected)... I've already done the port to Google Voice and it's working fine on Google's end, just not Verizon's!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Yea i Understand Verizon has a Port Number Line you can call it's been a while since i called it but it may speed things up if you can give them a Call Try this First 1-800-922-0204 option 3 and ask for the Porting Number Dept,   b33

0 Likes
eburke
Enthusiast - Level 2

When porting a number to another carrier you will be able to use the phone with the other carrier within a few hours( which is why you got the 3-5 hours response) but the line won't fully disconnect until the end of the bill cycle. NO, there is no way to hurry the process, when your port out Verizon has no way of pushing it to disconnect any sooner.. The port department won't be able to do anything for you. I wouldn't even bother calling.

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

They can take it off asap if they wanted to but won't. When i got my HomeFusion canceled they took it off my accout that day but wanted to wait i said no and bam it was off, So yes they can do it sooner but wanna wait.

0 Likes