Adding a new line and porting numbers
QDUB

I just added my sister to my wife and I's account. I went online and added the new line and ordered the phone (an iPhone 5S) which has not arrived yet. When ordering the phone it asks if I wanted a new number or wanted to port an exsisting phone number. Of course my sister wants to keep her number ( she's coming from T-Mobile) so i chose this option. Here's the problem I've run into. She will not be using the iPhone. She'll be using my Galaxy S4 and I'll be using the iPhone. From what I've heard the phone number is tied to the 4G Sim Card. If this is true, the sim card is not as easy accessible on the iPhone as it is with my S4. When the phone arrives is this going to be a major problem to fix? Is it one I can fix myself online using MyVerizon or will it require a trip to my local Verizon store?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Adding a new line and porting numbers
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

The SIM card on the iPhone 5s is right on the side of the device.

I would not call it "not easy accessible".  However, the SIM cards of those two devices are not the same size.  You will need a new SIM card.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

ttipgem wrote:

The SIM card on the iPhone 5s is right on the side of the device.

I would not call it "not easy accessible".  However, the SIM cards of those two devices are not the same size.  You will need a new SIM card.

Or a SIM card adapter.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
QDUB

Thanks for the help. Yeah I wasn't aware that the sim was accessed from the side. I was just going off word of mouth that the phone had to taken apart to reach the card. Any idea if a SIM card can be bought at the store or is it something that must be ordered?

0 Likes
QDUB

Can a sim adapter be purchased at the Verizon store? I'll go with that option if it will require less wait than having to order a new SIM.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

QDUB wrote:

Thanks for the help. Yeah I wasn't aware that the sim was accessed from the side. I was just going off word of mouth that the phone had to taken apart to reach the card. Any idea if a SIM card can be bought at the store or is it something that must be ordered?

A SIM card can be found at a corporate store for free. Customer service can also mail you on, but you have to pay for shipping.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
QDUB

Ok. Awesome. Thanks. I appreciate the help

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

QDUB wrote:

Can a sim adapter be purchased at the Verizon store? I'll go with that option if it will require less wait than having to order a new SIM.

I don't think they have the adapter at the store, but you find them for cheap through Amazon and eBay.

The Galaxy S4 uses a micro SIM card and the iPhone 5s will use a nano SIM card. You will need a nano to micro SIM card adapter. You can probably use the nano SIM card that comes with the iPhone 5s and associated with your sister's line in the Galaxy S4 with the adapter. Then you can either get a SIM card cutting kit to resize the micro SIM card originally from the S4 that you currently have active on your line to cut the it down to fit the iPhone 5s. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, get a new nano SIM card associated with your line.

0 Likes
QDUB

If Verizon wouldn't charge me for a new sim I may just go that route. I appreciate all the info you've provided for me. Thanks again

0 Likes