Accuracy of Verizon 4G data usage
OzLobster

I have  an iPad 3 with 4G+LTE and have a 10GB data plan. I  monitor my cellular data usage using the IOS cellular usage monitor. I am seeing significant discrepancies between the cellular data usage reported by the IOS monitor and that reported by Verizon. I last reset my IOS cellular monitor the day BEFORE my billing cycle for December. My IOS cellular usage monitor is currenlty showing I received 6.1GB and sent 256MB of data i.e. less than 6.5GB in total, yet my usage reported by Verizon is already showing that I have exceeded my 10GB data limit. While I can understand that the IOS monitor may not be exact, I would not expect such a large difference...  Reading through the Verizon community newsgroups, I see reports of other users reporting similar issues... I have been charged overages for the last couple of months now... Is there a problem with the Verizon data usage reporting?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Accuracy of Verizon 4G data usage
warbucks

Yes

0 Likes
Re: Accuracy of Verizon 4G data usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us OzLobster. 

It sounds like when you're checking the data usage on your iPad, are you going to Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Usage. While this is a great way to get an estimate of usage, this is not a very accurate method since not all applications may report the data usage there. The best way to check your data usage directly from your iPad is Settings > Cellular Data > tap the View Account button > type in the user name and password for your account. The Account Overview screen will not only show you how many GB have been used in your current cycle, but how many are left and when your cycle ends. You can also visit http://bit.ly/xB4iTc to view more information about your data, such as dates, times, and the amount of MB used in each session. This may help you to discover trends or applications using more of your data that you may not have been fully aware of.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes