A new twist to the Tradein Program!
jimd1050
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Folks,

I just upgraded to a new Droid Maxx (Love it, BTW!) and subsequently, traded in my (perfectly working, undamaged) Droid Razr Maxx about a week later. I checked on the status 9/12 and received this:

Final Trade-In ValueAdjustment Reason
September 05, 2013Motorola XT912M Droid Razr Maxx$62.00Paid$11.16LCD is not working - LCD is cracked/broken            

Now, Verizon provides you with a Prepaid, Padded Shipping Envelope - I followed their directions regarding preparation, packed the phone and dropped it off at my local Post Office for return. As Verizon Prepays the shipping, I cannot insure the package. Now it's "My Word against Their Word" that the display was Cracked/Broken. I asked for a means of filing a "shipping claim" and have received no reply! What do I do? I was promised $62.00 and am now getting only $11.16 through NO fault of my own... thoughts?

Jim D.

>> Personal information removed to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: A new twist to the Tradein Program!
jimd1050
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the Reply - before I had a chance to try and call them, they emailed me and agreed that my phone was probably damaged in shipping. They're looking into the problem and a solution for me. Thanks again...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

My thoughts?

Why would you accept only $62 for your Razr Maxx? If it were me, I would just keep it, especially since as you say it was "perfectly working, undamaged". Alternatively, I would try to sell it on a site such as Swappa.com where they selling for ~$190. The Verizon Trade-in program DOES NOT give you a fair value for used phones and as you have seen, their evaluation of your phone does not necessarily coincide with your evaluation.

Regardless, you are stuck with your $11.16 payment as the terms of the trade-in program say the phone will be evaluated upon receipt for your payment.

"I got an email saying I would be receiving less than I expected. Why?

When we receive your device, we check to ensure it matches the information you provided during the online submission. If not or if it was not submitted within 30 days, you may receive less than you expected for the device. Additionally, if you claimed a promotion but the device that you sent us is not eligible for the promotion, we will provide you with the trade-in value for the device excluding the promotion. For further information, please see our Terms & Conditions."

0 Likes
jimd1050
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, a.) My Razr Maxx was three generations old, not a Razr Maxx HD, just a Maxx, so I didn't figure it was worth any more than the $62.00. b.) I've used the Trade-in Program in the past and they were fair - I received what I was told I'd receive and one of those phones did have a cracked display, so I got what it was worth.

Yes, I read the disclaimer that you quoted, but like a lot of other people, I thought I wouldn't have to revert back to it to see that I agreed to let myself get screwed! I guess that covers it - thank you for your response "rcschnoor"

Jim D

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

jimd1050 wrote:

Well, a.) My Razr Maxx was three generations old, not a Razr Maxx HD, just a Maxx, so I didn't figure it was worth any more than the $62.00. b.) I've used the Trade-in Program in the past and they were fair - I received what I was told I'd receive and one of those phones did have a cracked display, so I got what it was worth.

Yes, I read the disclaimer that you quoted, but like a lot of other people, I thought I wouldn't have to revert back to it to see that I agreed to let myself get screwed! I guess that covers it - thank you for your response "rcschnoor"

a)As I have said, the original three generations old Razr Maxx is CURRENTLY selling on Swappa.com for ~$190, 3 times what Verizon was originally offering before you received your actual payment.

b)I have checked Verizon's Trade-In price values each time I have upgraded for the last several years. NOT ONCE did I think the offered price was anywhere near what the phone in question was worth. It is worth MORE to me to just keep the phone and use as a backup IF my phone breaks while not under warranty. Or I could try selling it on a site such as Swappa.com for AT LEAST 3 times the value Verizon is offering under the Trade-In program. I actually have a couple of smartphones as backup because they are worth more to me that way than the ~$6 Verizon was offering for a mint condition Droid X($5) and/or Thunderbolt($8) which would each sell for between 5 and 10 times that amount on Swappa.com.

c)"I guess that covers it"... I'm sorry MY THOUGHTS were not aligned with yours, but you asked and I gave them. I have NEVER thought the Verizon Trade-In program was a worthwhile program for Verizon customers. It appears we will just have to disagree, but at least you have seen another point of view.

Good luck.Smiley Happy

Edit: Alternatively, I have routinely loaned/given my old phone to friends/acquaintances who for some reason or other do not have a backup phone when their current phone does not function anymore and they are not eligible for an upgrade. THAT is also worth more to me than the paltry sum Verizon has offered for my old phones.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congrats on your new Droid Maxx jimd1050! I suggest reaching out to our Recycle program support center by phone at 877-247-3846 (available 24/7) or by Email: support@online.trade-in.vzw.com Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Don't feel too bad about agreeing to $62, Jim. My mom was offered $5 for her Droid 2 global.

This won't help you now, but if I ever ship a phone anywhere, I always take photos of the display with the phone turned on, as well as the battery/compartment showing no water damage.

I hope it gets straightened out soon.

0 Likes
Brian63
Enthusiast - Level 2

For others reading this post..... I would not send a phone back in their goofy little bubble envelope. They have got to be kidding!

1. That little envelope is a red flag for postal employees to take the phone

2. You have no assurance or insurance that it either got there or wasn't damaged with no way to recover the cost.

3. Picture that little envelope under 300 lbs of boxes at the Post Office

Send it back insured in your box with the phone in their envelop and then place it IN THE BOX.

Also make a copy of the Submission ID tag and clear tape that to your box. Include the confirmation print out you got from the website submission

Brian

jimd1050
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you SydneyK - note my post to follow! They made good on this...

0 Likes
jimd1050
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much for dropping in - before I had a chance to try what you suggested, I received this email from Verizon Online Trade-in Support:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

>> Proprietary e-mail removed as required by the <<

-------------------------------------------------------------------

They were already giving me a gift card for $11.16 so, with the additional $50.00, that's almost $62.00 in my book! That restores my faith in Verizon Customer Service... again, thanks for the reply and suggestions!

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

jimd1050
Enthusiast - Level 2

Now that you mention it Brian, you're completely right - when I used the Trade-in Service three years ago, the packaging was much better!!!

0 Likes