4G LTE on Oahu terribly slow, especially at night.
the3dolla
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just moved to Oahu a month ago and am living in Pearl City which is zip code 96782.  I only get one to two bars but have in the past (back in Michigan) I have gotten upwards of 10mbit down with only a few bars.  At times here (like 4am) it can work at speeds up to 5mbit.  However between 5pm and 10pm it basically has speeds of literally 0.2mbit to say 0.5mbit.  Right now on Saturday at 10am im getting around 0.6 mbit. 

Clearly the capacity in this area isn't good enough, what are the chances Verizon is working on it?  Am I doomed to slow slow crazy slow speeds at peak times?  Verizon said something like 5 or 6 Mbit on "loaded networks" what does thaat constitute 5 or 6 people?

Thanks, Nick

Labels (1)
Re: 4G LTE on Oahu terribly slow, especially at night.
pherson
Champion - Level 1

This question is clearly for Verizon but this is a peer to peer forum. Call them directly. However this is an island and may not work as well instates.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Verizon is in fact working on capacity. Not exactly sure which part of PC you live in, but near my place I see Verizon trucks. Been a few times where they blocked a few lanes at night on Kam. They recently dropped a TB pipeline, but they haven't completed connecting everything. Could be the reason why you see reduce speeds.

the3dolla
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's true this is more towards Verizon, I've seen them respond to some posts.  So, I figured I'd give it a try.  I feel like calling will be a waste of time.  What are they doing to do, increase bandwidth to the tower I'm connecting to per my call?  Doubt it.

It's not like I'm up in the mountains in a 4G LTE extended network zone.  It's the dark red that states it's 4G LTE, no problem, I pretty much never drop down to 3G, although shoot, maybe that would be better.

Obviously there is a more finite throughput because it's an Island, but I'm sure there are enough fiber lines from the mainland.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

the3dolla wrote:

It's true this is more towards Verizon, I've seen them respond to some posts.  So, I figured I'd give it a try.  I feel like calling will be a waste of time.  What are they doing to do, increase bandwidth to the tower I'm connecting to per my call?  Doubt it.

It's not like I'm up in the mountains in a 4G LTE extended network zone.  It's the dark red that states it's 4G LTE, no problem, I pretty much never drop down to 3G, although shoot, maybe that would be better.

Obviously there is a more finite throughput because it's an Island, but I'm sure there are enough fiber lines from the mainland.

The VZW reps on this community were responding to discussions marked as questions. Your post unfortunately wasn't, so the odds of a rep seeing your post is unlikely to nonexistent.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
the3dolla
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nice, that would be good.  When I was first here a year ago now Verizon had the same LTE footprint, so hopefully they haven't been resting on their laurels.  I'm about a mile north of the foodland and don quiehote, however you spell that.

0 Likes
the3dolla
Enthusiast - Level 2

My bad, the only thing I saw under Actions was "Start a Discussion".  I can't help it if they hide "Ask a Question"  Oh well, got someone who lives near me with better info anyways.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

the3dolla wrote:

My bad, the only thing I saw under Actions was "Start a Discussion".  I can't help it if they hide "Ask a Question"  Oh well, got someone who lives near me with better info anyways.

That's the right option. There was a check box to mark it as a question in the view where you were creating the post.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You are pretty far, but close to a tower.

Tonight I can test the speeds. I am usually sleeping around that time.

0 Likes