3G to 4G Unlimited Data Question
dgonz

I've been using my Samsung Fascinate for quite some time now and have recently decided I wanted something newer. I do have Unlimited Data grandfathered in on my family plan and didn't want to lose that by signing a new contract or buying a subsidized phone from Verizon so I purchased a used Galaxy Nexus from eBay. Now as far as I have been able to find, as long as I purchase an LTE SIM card for the Nexus, I should be able to switch from my 3G Fascinate to my 4G Nexus with my Unlimited Data being unaffected, correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 3G to 4G Unlimited Data Question
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

dgonz wrote:

I've been using my Samsung Fascinate for quite some time now and have recently decided I wanted something newer. I do have Unlimited Data grandfathered in on my family plan and didn't want to lose that by signing a new contract or buying a subsidized phone from Verizon so I purchased a used Galaxy Nexus from eBay. Now as far as I have been able to find, as long as I purchase an LTE SIM card for the Nexus, I should be able to switch from my 3G Fascinate to my 4G Nexus with my Unlimited Data being unaffected, correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need to purchase a 4G SIM card if your visit a corporate Verizon Wireless store or request one through your MyVerizon account when you switch devices online.  Because you are bringing your own device, your current plan including the data plan remains unaffected.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

And there is not differentiation between 3G and 4G.  Data is data.

0 Likes
dgonz

Thanks for the reply! That's what I initially thought. I just called a Verizon Customer Service Rep....they're trying to tell me that They're going to take just mine (not the rest of the lines of my Family Plan) Unlimited Data away and charge me $30 for 2GB instead of the $29.99 for unlimited I've been paying. AND they want to charge me a $30 "activation fee". I'm at work so I just ended the call so I can call back later and really dig into it. But any idea what that's about? I've bought countless phones from Craigslist and just activated them online no problem. This shouldn't be any different from that, correct? My only concern was the 3G to 4G transition.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Unless they have changed something within the last day or two, as of 6/28/12, you will lose your unlimited data if you upgrade your device with a Verizon subsidized device and sign a new contract.  You can keep your unlimited data if you:

Keep your old phone and don't upgrade

Pay full retail price from Verizon and don't sign a new contract

Buy your new phone from Ebay or somewhere else and don't sign a new contract

Upgrade a device on another line on your account and then move that device to your unlimited line

The CSR you were talking with did not understand what you were doing or they were simply mistaken.

0 Likes
dgonz

Awesome, that's what I thought but I wanted to be sure before I call them again. Thanks so much for your help everyone!

0 Likes