3G to 4G - Grandfathered Unlimited Data
jakedjohnson
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello, I've been a Verizon customer for over 10 years, and I currently have an unlimited 3G data plan and I would like to go to 4G while keeping the unlimited side of things.  Is there a way to do this?

Few questions:

1.  Can I buy a phone on ebay and just activate it to become 4G?

2. The ebay phone is 4G LTE, but has no SIM card...will buying a sim card remove my unlimited data?

3. Are 3G and 4G LTE separate pricing structures in Verizon's eyes?  in other words, can I switch from 3G to 4G simply by activating a 4G phone from ebay on my account? (I know I need a sim card, refer to Q2)

Sorry if any of this is confusing...just really attached to my unlimited plan! 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 3G to 4G - Grandfathered Unlimited Data
snwbrdrjen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey, the answer to your main question is yes. My husband and I have unlimited data grandfathered as well, and he just upgraded to a 4G phone with no problem. I'm not sure about the Sim card if you bought one on eBay, though I assume you could just get one from Verizon. :]

jakedjohnson
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks for the reply!

So your husband upgraded through verizon and went from 3G unlimited to 4G unlimited?  Did he use the discount or did he pay full price for the phone?

I would love to use my available discount, but I am afraid that using that discount will change my contract (renew) and I will loose my unlimited data plan...very cautious right now haha.

AZSALUKI
Legend

if you have unlimited now, then you can renew your contract and get the discounted price. it doesn't matter if the phone is 3g or 4g (data prices are the same). you will keep your unlimited data. IF you do this, just check your plan a few days after signing the new contract and MAKE SURE it says "unlimited." if it does not (i've seen a few cases of this), then call them and ask them to reinstate your unlimited plan....but do this within a few days of signing the new contract. 3g and 4g data has the same pricing. it's all just a "data plan."

fyi....this is just my opinion, but i would use an available upgrade now because we don't know when they will start the new shared tiered plans. if they start them in three weeks, then you will have to choose one of those on a new contract and will not be able to get the subsidized price on a new phone, while still keeping your unlimited data.

as far as buying on ebay goes, you should be able to get a sim card for the phone from verizon. they give them to you for phones you bought from them, but they may charge you $20 for a phone you bought elsewhere. just make sure the phone is compatible with verizon and has a clean ESN.

jakedjohnson
Enthusiast - Level 3

Awesome, thanks guys for all the help and suggestions.  I've used my upgrade and got a Droid Razr, all while keeping my unlimited data.

Thanks again for the great replies.

-Best

0 Likes