Re: 3G Network Optimization / Data Throttling
SimsDelt
Enthusiast - Level 2

For all the nay-sayers... The Galaxy Nexus came in at 11:52 AM yesterday.  Currently is amazing.  Verizon did right by me and I love this phone.  Its a battery hog.... but I knew it would be... thats why my 3800 mAh Seido battery will be here soon.  Thanks for the 1 person that kinda took my side... and to all the rest thank you for your comments, although I didn't agree with them... in the end Verizon did agree with me.

NOTE:

Still on the same 3G network (no 4G in my area) and I am not being throttled at all.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

SimsDelt wrote:

Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network...

Taken directly from Verizon's terms and conditions page. By throttling they are not providing the best experience when using their network.

John Sims

Sent from my Droid X

If by throttling 1 person using a large amount of bandwidth IMPROVES the experience for 10 people, then yes they are.

billcarb

AGREED!!  Extortion is the correct word..  I am suffering the same..  It's ridiculous that they are only attacking the customers with Unlimited Plans as a way of getting rid of the unlimited plans and luring us into the tiered more expensive plans... I depend on 3G for my work.  I live in a highly congested city and many of the 3G towers are usually congested... 

I signed on for an unlimited plan...

I am entitled to use an Unlimited amount of Data...

I should not be throttled down to a slower speed because I am using large amounts of data...

Its eating up my battery so fast due to the time it now takes on 3G

Thats like being asked to leave from an All U can eat buffet because your eating too much...

I am ashamed at being a Verizon customer today.. Unfortunately for them, I gave my corporate account to Sprint... I have over 700 employees in Florida alone...  They were not on unlimited plans....  I will stay on and speak my mind until Verizon acts responsibly..  I will stream music 24 hours a day is I have to but I WONT BACK DOWN...

Anyone here want to split the cost of an attorney? 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

billcarb wrote:

Thats like being asked to leave from an All U can eat buffet because your eating too much...

Actually, "All U can eat buffet's" throttle you, too. They limit how much you can eat by not refilling an item on the buffet the exact minute something runs out. They are not limiting the AMOUNT you can eat, but the amount of time it takes you to eat it. No difference here. Verizon is not limiting your AMOUNT of data, but it may take you longer to actually use it. You are still getting your unlimited data, but your speed of delivery may be lower.

0 Likes
billcarb

Agreed...  Draconian Tactics for companies that are in over their head..  I'd be ashamed if I was being compared to an All U Can Eat Buffet and instead of being complemented for great food, being criticized for un ethical way to gain an advantage over a client that I have lured into something..  If they throttled everyone, it would be fair but not just the ones who bought into a better plan...  I remember reading UNLIMITED DATA not UNLIMITED DATA AT A SLOWER SPEED THAN THE REST OF US AT VERIZON.. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

billcarb wrote:

Agreed...  Draconian Tactics for companies that are in over their head.. 

The same way that stores are in over their head when there are lines at the checkout, highways are in over their head during rush hour, restaurants are in over their head if they are booked when you call to make a reservation, gas stations are in over their head if I have to wait in line, airports are in over their head when I have to stand in line at security, etc...

These are all just forms of throttling and could be alleviated by tripling or quadrupling the number of employees/lines/pumps. Who cares that the price would skyrocket and you would have employees/lines/pumps sitting idle during non-peak hours. They should always plan and staff for the worst case scenario. After all, I am sure you do that with your "700 employees in Florida alone"!

0 Likes
billcarb

Your example does't fit this case...   It would be fair if Verizon throttled everyone down during congestion.. NOT JUST THE ONES ON UNLIMITED PLANS.....  Verizon has only selected a few to throttle down and those are only the ones with the most disadvantageous plans to Verizon...  Equilibrium is equal not discriminatory... I know the concept...   "Oh wait...  Lets let all of the people who will pay MORE for groceries bypass the cashier lines and all of the others wait..  and the ones with food stamps, well, they will wait in the longest lines when we are busy..."  That is your way... That's the Verizon way..  Shameful.....  And when I get busy, unfortunately everybody has to settle for slower speed, NEVER the ones who pay less... 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

OK...how's this example? your internet provider (dsl, cable...whatever you have) has a basic plan. you get the slowest speeds with that plan. if you want guaranteed faster speeds, you pay more for a premium plan. same with your phone. you can either pay for the tiered plans, or you can buy a 4g devices and not be throttled.

and if we're going to nit pick about examples.....the all you can eat buffet is PERFECT. if you've ever gone to one that has crab legs then you know that the pizza, chicken fingers, etc, etc stay stocked. guess which guests get throttled? crab leg eaters. they do single out particular guests and they are the guests that are consuming the most expensive food (or the customer that is costing the most by killin crab legs and making the experience less enjoyable to the other customers). they'll refill mashed potatoes as fast as it runs out......but the crab legs are empty half the time you are there. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
billcarb

Smiley Happy is the dude who can get all the Crab Legs..  But again..  your example doesn't quite apply..  When I signed on to Verizon for an unlimited plan, it never was inferred nor expressed that my speed would be slower.  Its being force fed... My iPhone does not work on 4G so thats not an option..  And as far as the buffet, when the crabs are out, everyone waits, not just the fat guy...

Perhaps the best example is if you rented a car from Hertz and they say "You have unlimited milage"...  You say GREAT!!  You pack up the car and the kids and start your drive across the country only to find out that Hertz has regulated the speed of the car down and it won't go faster than 30 mph...  Especially that they didn't tell you when you rented the car...  Now you are on the highway with unlimited milage but can only drive 30 MPH and they are charging you by the day for the car... All of the other people who rented cars and didn't get the unlimited milage are hauling butt at 60 MPH..... No matter what, it will take you twice as long to get there...  It flirts with false advertisement...  But for sure its dishonest...

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

But there are ways to get around the throttling in my examples, too, for example if you are willing to PAY more such as at the airport for expedited screening, purchase the shopping service at the store, etc... Yes, I know, discriminatory.

billcarb wrote:

Your example does't fit this case...   It would be fair if Verizon throttled everyone down during congestion.. NOT JUST THE ONES ON UNLIMITED PLANS.....  Verizon has only selected a few to throttle down and those are only the ones with the most disadvantageous plans to Verizon...  Equilibrium is equal not discriminatory... I know the concept...   "Oh wait...  Lets let all of the people who will pay MORE for groceries bypass the cashier lines and all of the others wait..  If you pay for the shopping service, that is EXACTLY what happens!!!

and the ones with food stamps, well, they will wait in the longest lines when we are busy..."  That is your way... That's the Verizon way..  Shameful.....  And when I get busy, unfortunately everybody has to settle for slower speed, NEVER the ones who pay less... 

0 Likes