Re: 3G Network Optimization / Data Throttling
SimsDelt
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:

As of 5:56 PM today I had not received a phone call from a "manager" and called back in when I finished dinner around 8:00.  I spoke to a CS rep who immediately put me through to a supervisor.  After I spoke in depth with him he assured me I would receive a phone call from his manager between 9:30 and 10:00 PM EST.  At 10:47 PM EST I have not received a phone call from anyone.  I just got off the phone with customer service again and was told the CSM (Call center manager) was gone for the evening.  That I needed to call help desk the morning and they could put me though.  I was also given the web address and instructions how to get the corporate telephone number. 

At this point I have moved from frustrated to angry.  I have been nice and cordial to everyone I have talked to, but it seems I am just being lied to. 

3 Promised calls from Verizon.  3 Calls never made.  This is not customer service at all.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

When all is said and done I do not understand this hype with the optimizing process because it is understandable but I am wondering what type of traffic you are accessing that this is a major issue, I use my device for transferring network files and remote server feeds and I have notice transfer speed differences from time to time but it hasn't been unusable..

What are you accessing that required the maximum bandwidth all the time that seem to be effected?  Also you do realize that you are on a mobile device?  Even with the transfer being (Optimized) I get better speeds than other carriers, my nephew has T-Mobile and in their best speeds they cant touch Verizon.

0 Likes
SimsDelt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm being throttled so much that I can't even watch Netflix. It plays for 10 seconds. Then buffers for 20 and then is super grainy.

John Sims

Sent from my Droid X

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

SimsDelt wrote:

I appreciate all your comments. But are all of you Verizon reps or in some nature work for Verizon. I have found no one on here that even moderately supports my position. I could understand if I was a data hog and used 20 gb a month. But I'm a normal guy that watches Netflix and like Pandora.

John Sims

Sent from my Droid X

none of us work for verizon. is it possible that you have found no one who supports your position because your position is wrong? i understand your frustration, but you have to understand that the 3g network was not built for this type of heavy traffic. this is one of the many reasons verizon has been pushing 4g/lte devices. they are offering early upgrades, large discounts, more data, etc, etc.....because they want as many people as possible on the 4g network. when 3g was built it was great.....but it simply wasn't built for this traffic. every tom, dick, and harry can stream whatever they want now to phones and many users (particularly the younger generation) are using the network as their primary internet access. again...i get your frustration, but they have the right to throttle and have told us they will.

0 Likes
SimsDelt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been offered no large discount for an upgrade. That is my contention... if Verizon is unable to keep up with my needs on their 3G network and want me to upgrade to 4G then make it worth while. They offered a small supset of customers a few weeks ago free 4G phones for upgrading. I'm just asking for the same. or unthrottle me. Either is fine with me.

John Sims

Sent from my Droid X

0 Likes
budone
Legend

If those are their two options, you are outta luck. Time to move on.

0 Likes
SimsDelt
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:

We have reached an agreement.  After calling again today and being disconnected I finally got through and spoke to a supervisor named Jason.  We went back and forth and finally reached an agreement on upgrading me to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus for a significantly lower price.  He understood my plight and was inclined to work his way of helping me.  I will not say how he did it but he had to work a little supervisor magic to get it done.  I will receive my phone tomorrow and will not have to worry about being throttled anymore, even though I do not have 4G in my area. 

I just kept vigilant and stuck to my guns.  When I explained that even though I would be upgrading to a 4G phone I would still be on the 3G network around my area and therefore would be on the same exact network I was being throttled on now but with a shiny new phone... he saw what I was trying to say when I said it was extortion that I had to pay more(new phone) to be on the same network I'm on now just without having to worry about throttling.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

That doesn't mean you are being throttled, how many bars do you have when this happens?  You could be just experiencing a bad connection or a high traffic time... 

Watching Netflix is data intensive and also the one thing you are not considering, Netflix could be having issues also..

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Do not be upset when the phone is not there tomorrow. And if you squawk and moan and then do not share the outcome.......

0 Likes
SimsDelt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've already confirmed the order and credits to my account. And paid the extra $20 for Saturday delivery. So its all good.

John Sims

Sent from my Droid X

0 Likes