Re: 3G Network Optimization / Data Throttling
Wildman
Legend

SimsDelt wrote:

You all are missing the point. I understand Verizon's policies towards data throttling. My main contention is that Verizon implemented these changes after my new contract period started. Therefore due to ethical business practices I should not be held in the new policies till my new contract period starts. When you sign a contract with a company the only way a company can change that contract and the policies involved therein, both parties must agree to the changes and either an addendum to the original contract or a new contract must be drafted.

John Sims

Sent from my Droid X

I dont see how that could have been possible because I have been with company over two years and that policy was in effect at the time I signed my first contract...  So if you had a two year contract and then purchased a new device since then that would have placed you under the policy with the new contract.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

SimsDelt, what you are missing is you are STILL unlimited. Is VZW charging you per bit when you reach a level??? NO.

Lowering the speed you access and having to pay more once you reach a threshold are two different beasts. And VZW technically is still offering unlimited data without an add'l charge. 

Before I start hearing I work for them, I do not. I am offering my opinion based on if you are saying, if went to court you most likely would lose. The data is still unlimited albiet at a slower rate.

Then again, an ATT customer won in small claims and now ATT is appealing. Poor guy will be broke in months.

I have a 4G device.but  I do not have access to 4G speeds and am very happy not to be throttled  er I mean optimized. That word makes the whole process seem soooooo positive!

Wanted to add, this change was not one where you can get out of your contract without an ETF or one that you can say they broke the agreement with you. The TOS states:

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. (This occurred, early last year, you are complaining now....You agreed to this long ago by doing nothing)) If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you (There is no monetary add'l cost to you for this), you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no Early Termination Fee if we fail to negate the change after you notify us of your objection to it.

0 Likes
SimsDelt
Enthusiast - Level 2

That policy was just adopted as of Feb. 2011. In its official capacity. Just Google when Verizon started "throttling" 3G.

John Sims

Sent from my Droid X

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

SimsDelt wrote:

That policy was just adopted as of Feb. 2011. In its official capacity. Just Google when Verizon started "throttling" 3G.

John Sims

Sent from my Droid X

Actually it looked like September 19, 2011, that is kind of surprising because I remember reading a policy like this when I signed my first contract, maybe it was covering something else...

Sorry, my mistake..  But anyway I still agree with Budone about the fact that you still have unlimited data...

0 Likes
SimsDelt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unlimited data yes. But per my contract it says nothing about "throttling" my data. That was a policy adopted during my contract period. For iit to apply to me.I would have to sign a new contract to have the new policy take effect. I legally have to sign to change or add things to my contract. This would be the same as if halfway through my contract I was told I had to pay more per month. It would be an unwanted addendum to my contract that I didn't want. Throttling is the same, unwanted addendium that I didn't approve.

John Sims

Sent from my Droid X

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i get your concern, but your logic is flawed. sure, the contract may NOT state anything about throttling......but it also does NOT guarantee what kind of speeds you will get. so you get the unlimited data that they promised, just at a slower speed. i may be wrong, but does it guarantee you will always get a minimum speed?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Exactly what I was thinking  when I read the reply post....

0 Likes
budone
Legend

You do not need to sign a new contract. The contract is for the phones minutes. Data is an addon. Heck by rightz vzw could say a week from now all with an unlimited plan will lose it and will be moved to the same priced tiered plan. There is no price change and data is an addon........ Not a thing we can do but gripe about it

They wont do that, but they certainly can if they wanted

0 Likes
SimsDelt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network...

Taken directly from Verizon's terms and conditions page. By throttling they are not providing the best experience when using their network.

John Sims

Sent from my Droid X

0 Likes
SimsDelt
Enthusiast - Level 2

To be honest I'm not trying to be a rebel-rouser... I just want to be treated fairly and be treated like a loyal customer should be. I've been with Verizon for 11 years as Verizon and 4 years as Cellular One before that.

John Sims

Sent from my Droid X