$200 Promo - ABSOLUTE SCAM
RM110
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was due for an upgrade so decided to take advantage to the promo where you can trade in an old iphone for a $200 gift card, why not? If I knew I would only get $36 for the old device, that would have been a great reason to "why not" do it! FIRST- I called to get more info on what to do, and the customer rep told me I can go into the store and that they would value the device and issue me a gift card on site. So I went down to the store, and after a long wait the tech person told me that for that specific promo it had to be done online= annoyance #1 and total waste of my time . In this visit the tech person helped reset/wipe my phone before she realized that I was interested in the promo program, and did not indicate that there was anything wrong with the device (iphone4). Then actually starting the process I was on  the phone with customer service and live chat several times, and the entire thing was frustrating. I seemed to get different info every time I spoke to someone. FYI I valued the phone online and it said it valued at $200. SECOND- It was taking forever to get the package that I needed in order to send the old device back to them. I called and they sent it to the wrong address, which I had confirmed with them. I then had to wait more time for them to send it to the right address, which extended the whole process, and bled into the end of my 14 day trial period for the new iphone I finally had received. THIRD- I FINALLY just received an email yesterday with my "gift card" totaling $36!!!! I was expecting $200, as there was nothing wrong with my phone that I turned in. This covers the TAX on the new device! For a MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR company I was shocked that they would do this, and it seemed like a sick joke. I was depending on that $200 rebate to pay for the phone and if I thought that they wouldn't give me the full value, I would have never indulged in the new iphone, and would have gone with whatever was being offered as free. FOURTH- I was told that I would be able to use the gift card to directly pay my credit card bill on which the new iphone6 was being charged on. When I got the email with the "gift card" it said that I could only use it to pay my Verizon bill or for accessories. I would not have considered this entire thing if I could not pay the credit card charge for the phone with the gift card. I was told EXPLICITLY that I would be able to on the phone by a rep, and when I called today, she said that there was nothing that they can do about it, as it is not a rebate. I asked if if can be reissued as a rebate and she said "no it's not part of this program". This was Verizon's mistake and Verizon should stand by their word and fix the problem. Again, another thing that if I had been told I would not have done the program. I needed the $200 to pay off my credit card, not my Verizon bill! The rep that I spoke with today gave me the "third party" device recycling program number, who deals with issuing the gift card, so I can talk to them about the value of the phone that I turned in. I have been on hold, as we speak, for ONE HOUR AND TWELVE minutes and counting! I am wondering if the call will actually ever get picked up?? This whole thing has been ridiculous for someone who has been a loyal customer for 12 years, it is just not OK. I hope that someone answers this call and I can get reissued the gift card for the $200.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: $200 Promo - ABSOLUTE SCAM
smb8890
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same type of problem for me!  I was sent an egift card for my iphone 5 that had a $0 balance.  When I called, I was told that my phone battery was exploded and therefore they could not give me any of the $200.  My phone was in absolute perfect condition when I dropped it in the material provided, following every instructed step to a "T" , and into the mail!  My father was right with me through every step, so I even have a witness.  I do not believe I should be responsible for something that obviously would have happened in the mail, especially when told to remove the battery from the phone, leaving it unprotected.  I would not have been able to order and pay for the iPhone 6 right now, without the promotion, and the fact that I was allowed to wait and pay for it when my rebate came.  I had to borrow the money to pay for it.  NOT HAPPY!  I've been a loyal Verizon customer for almost 10 years now, and I don't think this is good treatment for a customer oriented company!  I would really like to be reimbursed for the full $200, as the phone met all requirements.  I have called and been directed back and forth to several different customer service departments, and was told someone would be calling me.  I also emailed Verizon, and so far, have heard nothing!  Hope to hear from someone soon!

Shirley

Re: $200 Promo -  ABSOLUTE SCAM
RM110
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally had gotten in touch with a HUMAN at the third party compnay who values the devices. HOW that happened was that the fourth customer service person that I spoke to at Verizon called WITH me, and stayed on the line, and since he saw it was taking awhile he said I could hang up and he would call me back when he got someone on the line. He called me back over an HOUR later. Of course the person couldnt help me, and told me that it was said that labeled cracked LCD screen WHICH IT WAS NOT. She said she had to send "escalate" it to a higher up department and that I should hear back via email within 72 hours...this was on Thursday 11/20 and still no word. I plan on calling customer service AGAIN and see what happens.

0 Likes
smb8890
Enthusiast - Level 2

These are the exact words and phrases that I was given! And exactly the steps they took. They said they would escalate it and I would hear back. Every dept I talked to said they were not able to take care of any problems. And so on! What is going on here? I would really like to know if you get to talk to anyone else!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Qtip3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I Had the same problem also. I spent a day try to get but to no avail. I was so frustrated that I decided it was time to contact the Better Business Bureau and my state attorney general. other Verizon customers posted that they had also filed claims with BBB and state AG. The next morning I also found an email address for Verizon executive. The executive received my claim from the BBB at the time he reviewed my email and called me that evening. He was very nice, apologized, and credited my account for the difference. I recommend anyone who has been scammed to file claims with BBB, AG and email Verizon executive. This is the only way you will get your refund.

smb8890
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought about going to BBB also so thank you so much for letting me know! I am going to do these things you have mentioned! Are you able to share the exec's email address or how you went about getting it? Thanks so much!

Shirley

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
RM110
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have seen on other forums that this is what people had to do in order to get their credit. I was hoping to avoid that but looks like that is how I will be spending my day tomorrow. I did get that email today in the end, but all it states is that my iphone device has been received and will evaluated and I will hear back in 4-6 weeks. Not waiting that long for more song and dance. Will be reporting to BBB, and writing letters tomorrow.

0 Likes
Qtip3
Enthusiast - Level 3

It depends on what region you live in to which executive will contact.  If you will google Verizon Wireless Executives email addresses.  You should option to choose Verizon wireless executives. Once you select will bring up a list and select the one from your region. Once you select Contact it should open up the email form. Let me know how everything goes. 

0 Likes
RM110
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have officially filed a complaint with the BBB, and TRYING to send a

letter to my regional executive, but the "send" button on their form is not

working and there is no direct email for them. Now on the phone with tech

support to try to get the form to send. This feels like a sick sick joke.

>> Personal information removed to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
smb8890
Enthusiast - Level 2

I contacted the BBB and received an email today saying that they had sent my complaint to the company. I got a call from the Verizon Executive office with an apology and a credit for $200. Thank you so much for sharing the solution! I hope you RM110 receive yours also!