2-year contract early upgrade to Edge
bvandrasik

I am on a traditional 2-year contract plan with about 6 months left on my Moto X. I am being offered an early upgrade if I switch to "Edge" plan. Will I have to turn in my Moto X if I take advantage of this offer?  I went all the way through checkout to the final step, reading carefully the "Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement" and "EDGE Agreement", neither one mentioned this.  I was suspicious, so went on live chat, but rep couldn't give me a definitive yes or no.  First he said I would have to turn in my old phone, then said no when I said I couldn't find this in the agreements.  Anyone know FOR SURE?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 2-year contract early upgrade to Edge
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You would be doing an Early Edge and yes, you would need to turn in a fully functioning device or be charged $299. I would just hold off 6 months, then sign up for Edge and you won't have to turn in your device, you could sell it yourself.

View solution in original post

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You would be doing an Early Edge and yes, you would need to turn in a fully functioning device or be charged $299. I would just hold off 6 months, then sign up for Edge and you won't have to turn in your device, you could sell it yourself.

bvandrasik

Thanks, that's what I thought. Glad I asked, but others wont ask and will very surprised when they are told they need to return their old phone.  I am POSITIVE this was not revealed anywhere during the upgrade process!  Yeah, it doesn't make any sense to upgrade now when I can hold on to my Moto X and own it as a backup in 6 months.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

They just need to stick with doing an Edge contract and none of this Early Edge or Edge up stuff.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

MiiHere wrote:

They just need to stick with doing an Edge contract and none of this Early Edge or Edge up stuff.

I agree. If you are on a 2yr agreement, you wait until it is done. No Early Edge. If you are on Edge, you get a new device when you have paid off the original device. No paying 50%, 60% or 75% and trading it in to get a new one. Make it simple to understand with simple rules to follow. AAAAAAAAAAND make no exceptions to those rules.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MiiHere, thanks for helping us support our customers with information regarding our Edge program. For more details regarding this upgrade option, click the link below:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/edge/?intcmp=SearchBanner:edge:Top

LasinaH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bvandrasik

The link provided does not address my specific question at all, it is just a general description of the Edge program.  If I drill  down in the FAQ I can get a description of "Early Edge" : Early Edge is an occasional promotional offer available for lines that are currently ineligible to upgrade. Those lines can upgrade early on the Edge program, but may require you to turn in your current device.

I'm not even sure this applies to me, because I am not CURRENTLY on the Edge program, and even if it does, "may require you to turn in your device" is not a definitive answer, is it?  I got to the point in the ordering process where all I had to do was click the "Complete My Order" button, and NOWHERE was I told I would be required to turn in my Moto X!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Early Edge IS for people not currently on Edge. You are entering into an Edge agreement Early, like when you are still under contract. You are entering into an Edge agreement Earlier than you become eligible, i.e. after you complete your contract.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A traditional 2 year contract is not the same thing as a Edge payment agreement.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You are doing Early Edge, you will need to send in your current phone. There is no real question here. That is the facts. To convince yourself otherwise will only end up causing you pain when you do find out that is exactly what you need to do.

I also agree with others, while Edge is a better deal than contract in most cases, Early Edge, since you must give you phone back, is a really terrible financial deal in almost every case. Just wait and do regular Edge when your contract is done.