$150 Rebate - A Scam
dasoares
Enthusiast - Level 1

I switched to Verizon from AT&T in March 2018. When I walked in the Winchester, VA store, manager [removed] sold me the plan and a new IPhone 8+ and assured me that there would be a $150 rebate forthcoming in the mail that would offset the activation fee etc. No indication was given that I had to submit a form online.

I called Verizon today to find out why I had not yet received the rebate. They tell me that the manager should have informed me that an online form was to be submitted. When I asked [removed] at the store today, she tells me that I was ineligible for the rebate because I had bought a new phone and that the rebate was only for someone who had transferred their plan from another carrier but retained the old phone. She refused to admit that she had assured me about the rebate and insisted that there was nothing she could do.

This is exceptionally bad customer service. I will do everything in my power to convince all my friends and family to stay away from lying corporations like Verizon. From what I've seen here others have also fallen for this rebate scam. I will be posting on Twitter, Facebook and multiplying this message via social media.

Let us see what Verizon has to say about treating their customers right.

​Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Labels (1)
Re: $150 Rebate - A Scam
monkeessss
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know they promised me a prepaid visa with that much on it and I got nothing!

SC0tt89
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing happened to me. 5 lines switched 60+ days ago. No prepaid visas. (should be $750)

Chatted with a rep and said nothing they could do, they didn't receive it in time, and I was no longer eligible. Not way to challenge or talk to someone else. Thinking since im not in contract I may take my $300/mo bill elsewhere. Surprised there is no one challenging the legality of this.

JMBVZN

Hey Verizon,

Where does it say anything about the phone needing to be active on the previous account?

"Receive a $150 Mastercard Prepaid Card (consumer customers) or $150 bill credit (business customers) when you switch your number from any wireless carrier to a postpaid Verizon account and activate your own 4G smartphone on an eligible plan between 08.01.18 and 08.31.18."

1. Switch your number to Verizon AND

2. Activate your own 4G smartphone

What gives?

0 Likes
PAT-TAYLOR-
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing happened to us. Maybe we should all contact our senators and tell them about the expanding number of people getting scammed. This isn’t the first time, or even second or third time Verizon has been involved in sketchy billing practices. They’ve been sued many times and usually lose at court. We should stand up and fight!

PAT-TAYLOR-
Enthusiast - Level 1

It has to do with Verizon offering us incentive for my wife to switch providers and join my plan, and then lying about us getting the $150. From the sounds of it, it’s a widespread sketchy issue, which they’ve been accused of many times in the past.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
Eurofoxx
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also switched in April and brought my own devices over which I double checked and made sure that I would not be under any contract .  The sales rep technically force these $150 gift cards per line on me and when I asked what the catch was because I was switching 4 lines he sad only thing is you must be with Verizon 45 days and they send you the gift cards !  I double checked again and reassured that there will be no other contracts he said no I also read the bullet points and no where on there it’s sad that you had to stay with Verizon for six months or else you have to pay those funds back!  I have switched to sprint because they have four lines for $100 and it seemed like a better deal I was not concerned with the gift cards because I was reassured that 45 days in all it took and I was well over the last 45 days with Verizon when my final bill came through it was for over $600 which was $600 for the gift cards and the prorated monthly bill !  I called the customer service and a nice lady was kind enough to see the concern and raise up the issue because she also felt that this was not to right because the only thing she could see is the 45 days commitment which I definitely furfilled so she raised it up to management and told me  The issue should be resolved by October 5... I called today to doublecheck and was told that my balance is zero when my balance should be the difference over the $600 ... then I was told that they drafted the full amount from my account and there’s nothing they can do I was 32 days short and if I stayed within those 32 days this would not have been an issue... I tried to reason and explain to them that I have nowhere seen the six-month requirement nor their representative advised me of that this was all false advertisement and I should not be held accountable for it.  I also requested for my service to be activated for 32 days so the six months could be for filled and I did not mind paying an extra month of phone service they said they will gladly do that for me however I will still be held accountable for the full $600 .  I requested to speak to management and magically somebody needs to call me back!  I did not ask for these gift cards they were forced upon me I asked clarifying questions and was only told the parts that I was able to see online which is 45 days Of active service... and now I am being treated like crap and nothing can be done!  But yet after I cancel my service they have withdawn money from my account!  I am still waiting for management to call back... this is false advertisement!!!  I did like Verizon for the little short period of time that I had them and I definitely considered coming back once my new contract is up with Sprint but this experience has definitely  changed my mind and word-of-mouth is very powerful I would never recommend anyone switching to Verizon if this issue is not resolved in a timely manner!

NOAh_sunflower
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’ve called customer service 3 times about this. Same confused answer every time. Like they don’t know it ever existed. Total scam.

0 Likes
tvan1967
Enthusiast - Level 1

They scammed me too. I brought a phone over from AT&T. Rep in the store helped me complete the form. Told me it would be 8 weeks to get the rebate. Several weeks went by and I got a notice that my submission was invalid. I had to call in. I was told they didn't have a valid phone number. I gave them the info they asked for and was told to wait another 8 weeks. Several weeks went by and a few days ago I got the same invalid message. I contacted support and was told that the rebate was now expired and there was nothing they could do. I am convinced that Verizon is doing this on purpose!

Tags (1)
Captureyourworldraw
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having similar issues - lots of misinformation from both the rebate center and Verizon. First, I was told, once rebate cards were in hand, I could go until the store and use said cards to pay off a portion of the phones. Turns out that's false. Next, I call the rebate center after 30 days of not having received the rebate card. They tell me it could take up to 8 RECEIVE the cards and to call back if they have not arrived by 7/20/19. I called today after seeing my rebates had yet to be verified on the website tracking. I'm now being told it TAKES 8 weeks to process THEN the cards will be mailed within 15 days. The paperwork I received at time of purchase states "...expect us to validate your rebate around July 9, 2019". So I call back and inform them of this paperwork. They then guide me over the phone to their website to prove to me it takes 8 weeks. Here's what their website states "Your $200 Prepaid Mastercard will be mailed via the U.S. Postal Service WITHIN 8 weeks after receipt of claim to the billing address on file with Verizon Wireless.". After arguing that waiting 8 weeks and then validating and mailing the cards is not WITHIN 8 weeks, it would then be beyond 8 weeks, the representative then just began repeating it may take up to 8 weeks to validate, then another 15 days to mail. I'm so sick of verizon and can't wait to get off their network. Lies and misinformation seems to be their norm.