Why is Family Base under reporting texts?
Kentmere
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had family base on my kids' iPhone 4s phones for three weeks. The reports are understate my kids texting activity.What can I do to fix this?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is Family Base under reporting texts?
rcschnoor
Legend

iMessages ARE NOT SMS texts. If your children's iPhones are registered for iMessage, then any of their "texts" will not be reported by Family Base as SMS because they are not. These are messages sent through Apple's servers and therefore bypass the SMS system and are not reported as texts.

The only messages which will be reported by Family Base will be those sent/received to/from non-iPhones and iPhones which are not registered to use iMessage.Smiley Happy

You can thank Apple for this. There is absolutely nothing Verizon can do about it since iMessage use data from your data allowance instead of your texting allowance.

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Legend

iMessages ARE NOT SMS texts. If your children's iPhones are registered for iMessage, then any of their "texts" will not be reported by Family Base as SMS because they are not. These are messages sent through Apple's servers and therefore bypass the SMS system and are not reported as texts.

The only messages which will be reported by Family Base will be those sent/received to/from non-iPhones and iPhones which are not registered to use iMessage.Smiley Happy

You can thank Apple for this. There is absolutely nothing Verizon can do about it since iMessage use data from your data allowance instead of your texting allowance.

Cindernana
Enthusiast - Level 2

So if I install Verizon message plus on my child's iPhone and make them use it for messaging will the texts show up? We just got this and I see no phone calls or texts at all but know he's currently using iMessage. Is there a way to fix it?

0 Likes
KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Cindernana, we want to ensure you have the details you need. iMessages in blue are data messages and therefore do not report as regular SMS messages in green. You can use the Verizon Messages+ app to track messages via SmartFamily or you can turn iMessages off in the iPhone under Settings>Messages>iMessages just make sure that 'Send as SMS' is turned on so they'll send/receive as the standard text messages in green instead. 

EbonyR_VZW

0 Likes