Spam call blocker - a Comcast offering
jddupuis
Enthusiast - Level 1

Comcast (Xfinity) voice offers a FREE spam call blocking service that  works GREAT!  The phone might ring once, but then is disconnected once it is identified as a spam call or telemarketer.  Verizon needs to get on board.  I get 7-10 calls a day on my wireless line, I block the number, but the calls keep coming from different number, all with the same recorded message.  If you agree, please comment and maybe Verizon will add this service.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Spam call blocker - a Comcast offering
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jddupuis receiving unwanted calls are never fun. Sorry the steps you took to block these numbers aren't working for you. Please click the link and review number 5 for additional options. Let us know if this works for you. http://vz.to/2nLeyVR

JoelD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the  Correct Answer  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jddupuis receiving unwanted calls are never fun. Sorry the steps you took to block these numbers aren't working for you. Please click the link and review number 5 for additional options. Let us know if this works for you. http://vz.to/2nLeyVR

JoelD_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the  Correct Answer  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MPOSTON1018

you missed the part about "the calls keep coming from different numbers".  That's my problem too.  Blocking doesn't help because the calls come from numbers all over the country.  I began blocking entire area codes with the "begins with" option.  So far I have 25 area codes blocked and still get calls.  Now I'm getting them from my area code so I can't block those for fear of blocking legitimate calls.  I tried blocking via using the "block unknown calls" thinking it meant calls from people not in my contact list, but discovered that applies to calls from phones which are set to NOT display their numbers.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure that you do not receive calls that you do not want. If you are primarily receiving calls that are telemarketing, I would recommend registering on the National Do Not Call Registry. You can register it here: https://www.donotcall.gov/

HarleyE_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

HarleyE_VZW, the effectiveness of the DNC registry is open to debate. Creditable telemarketing firms will adhere to the rules. Non creditable firms, many located offshore, do not. For sure, add numbers to the list. Just don't expect doing so to make much of a difference.  

COASTIE43
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completely agree with above response; the National DNC does NOT block the majority of calls we receive on our home phone, a Panasonic phone serviced by Verizon. We have been registered for over a year and it is relatively worthless. And yes, Comcast Does offer a great free service for blocking telemarketing calls. Why doesn't Verizon get on board and begin competing with the rest of the industry and maybe you'd keep more loyal customers?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

With the continuing decline in landline service usage, I have my doubts that Verizon Core or any RBOCS will expand available features.

I forsee a time when RBOCS would consider consolidation of Central Offices into regional super switch sites in the same image of today's existing tandem switches.

CODY_58
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon should offer this as a blanket call block for all of its customers!

1) if a number is reported as SPAM by 5 phones, Verizon blocks that number for the *entire* network

2) since the robocallers use numbers a short time, this global block could expire in ~30 days, just in case a legitimate business picks up that SPAM number some time in the future.

This would be a MAJOR benefit to all users!

Cody