So if a child turns off the VPN in their setting, verizon familybase is pointless?
CRYPAT94
Enthusiast - Level 1

Trying to block social media but unable due to VPN being turned off.

Labels (1)
Re: So if a child turns off the VPN in their setting, verizon familybase is pointless?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know it's important to control content for young people, CRYPAT94. We'd love to look into this for you. What make & model of phone is your child using? Do you have the Smart Family application installed on that phone? Are you using a third party VPN, or do you mean the App?

Eric_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Re: So if a child turns off the VPN in their setting, verizon familybase is pointless?
Kittybittyboo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem with my child.  He simply turns off the VPN in his settings and can access whatever he wants, even if internet turned off & sites blocked via the Smart Family App.

My child has an iphone 6s.

scvagent
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have this problem also. Wondering if any of you have been able to get this resolved

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

scvagent, We want to make sure that you're able to use your family controls. Let's find out what's going on and get this solved. What limits are you trying to set? What happens when you do? What model phones do you both have?

JoelR_VZW

0 Likes
Mom2mj

I had the same issue with my son  Basically he downloaded an app that sets up a separate VPN to override the smart family one  I deleted it and blocked downloads. 

Tags (1)
0 Likes
bkm132
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you see my post from today, blocking downloads has a major bug and can be easilly overridden if you are on Android. Don't rely on that!

0 Likes
HockeyMom3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue on iphone Xr and Iphone 8.

They have Verzion Child app installed.  Should it be Verizon Family?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want parents to be able to manage their child's phone, HockeyMom3. We are here to help.

You would want to make sure to download the Smart Family Companion app on your child's phone. The Verizon Child app is an older version when our Smart Family service was called Family Base. 

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
HockeyMom3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just got off the phone with Verizon tech support.  There is no way to prevent kids from deleting vpn and bypassing the restrictions.  This App is USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!