Family locator
TRAPRE70

My family locator app is not working correctly on my sons phone. i have uninstalled, and installed again, like support said to do. It says that he is 10 miles from where he really is and has a red dot say area based location. How can this be Fixed?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Family locator
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Is your son GPS spoofing for Pokémon Go or another GPS based game?  If so the app will report the current location from the phone as reported by the phones GPS feature.  If the feature is getting overwritten by another app then you will be seeing the incorrect information on your side of the equation too.

Check the phones ability to GPS track itself from Google Maps or another GPS based app and confirm if its accurate or not.  Uninstall any unnecessary GPS apps and consider reloading the phone if necessary to set it back to normal.

0 Likes
TRAPRE70

He has no GPS apps on his phone. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and it is still telling me that he has been in the same place for 2 weeks. I'm really at a loss for this app! Any other suggestions would  help!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I assume your son has a smartphone. My suggestion would be to dump Verizon's Family Locator and stop paying a monthly fee for this service.

Then either go into the Google Play Store or iPhone app store and download the Family Locator from Life 360. This service will track any phones you add to your account and install the app on. I have been using this app for close to 4 years now and it works fantastic. There are premium features(more than 2 geofence locations, etc...) you may want to pay a fee for, but I find the free version to be adequate.

I have it on my phone along with my wife's and 2 daughters. I am able to see at a glance where any of them are and they can also find me the same way. It has been very helpful, even going so far as to find my daughter when she was studying abroad for a semester in Europe. This service is cross platform and even cross cellular provider. My daughter was using Google's Project Fi while in Europe and was still able to work/track with my Verizon phone in the US.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If they have a smartphone, you should check the GPS settings in the phone settings to verify the accuracy being used.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You can also download apps such as "GPS Test" for Android to help you evaluate if the GPS feature on the phone is working correctly or not.  If these 3rd party tools have the same problem as the VZW app then there may be something wrong with the GPS antenna or software on the phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to ensure you can easily manage your location services. Is the location locked in from a previous visit to that area or has he never been to that location? What model is his phone? Have you confirmed he has the proper location settings on his phone?

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TRAPRE70

His phone is a Droid Turbo 2, i have tried the GPS app, and it works fine in other programs, just not on the Verizon family app which i liked a lot better in the beginning then the others. however i have dumped this app and literary tried everything to get it to work. I gave up!!! thanks for the help.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Thanks for the confirmation.  If the phone and other GPS applications perform normally together then it sounds like you have the problem isolated down to the Verizon Family app.

Another GPS app appears to be the best solution unless you can get someone from Verizon to dig into their application for you.  To do that I would advise contacting VZW directly and starting a ticket with them over the phone.  They can forward the case onto the app developers and try to get you more info from there.  Perhaps a firmware or software update occurred recently that broke the application on that phone.

0 Likes
GILDIAZ

I have two Droid Turbo 2s and an iPhone 6.  The administrator Droid loaded and shows up with relative accuracy but the other two phones wont even download the app.   Sounding like Verizon's Family locator is a bust for these phones since the App will not download which is the response I keep on seeing regarding compatibility.  

0 Likes