how much does this cost me ?
TamaraPoche
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a charge to download the app, if so how much for PC and Cell? Is there a charge per message or is it data related etc, any info on same is greatly appreciated

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how much does this cost me ?
rcschnoor
Legend

Downloading an app over the cellular network will count against your data allowance. Whether or not there is a per message charge would depend on your plan.

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Legend

Downloading an app over the cellular network will count against your data allowance. Whether or not there is a per message charge would depend on your plan.

TamaraPoche
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dearest rcschnoor,

Thank you so much for the reply, I am not tech savvy whatsoever, and am having several issues with this new phone, and the new apps that are apparently auto installed when one phone number is transferred to another phone. I spoke to one of the younger girls that I volunteer with and I was told I didn't ask the correct question lol. I guess what I should have asked is whether the Verizon Messages app costs anything or if it is free? On my new phone both Samsung messages as well as Verizon Messaging app were installed, when I got with the chat representative, there was a problem with my not using correct terminology I believe.

I work with the Humane Society and I got a smartphone due to the necessity of being able to convey and record medication dosages etc, between other volunteers. It was in fact Ladies older than I that were utilizing "Text Message " functions and convinced me to get a smartphone approx. 7 years ago. When I contacted Customer Service via Online Chat, and I was asking whether or not there was a cost to "Purchase, or a Monthly Cost" for using Verizon Messaging, the breakdown in Communication I believe was that I refer to it as "Text" and she wasn't certain, what I was referring to...I was telling her I was getting prompted when I went to send a text, whether I wanted to use "Samsung Message", or "Verizon Message". She wasn't familiar with the word TEXT I guess because she kept asking me if I meant messages LOL, so perhaps I am using old-fashioned terminology. As of now, I have the app installed on both my PC, as well as my Cell and am using the "Verizon Message" app, and STILL, haven't a clue as to whether or not I am going to see a charge for same on my monthly bill etc.

I am utilizing the "Small Plan" with unlimited talk and text ( or Messages LOL), and 2 G of data, history has proven that I RARELY if ever utilize even 1G, so I am not worried about any data charges, I am wondering id there is an initial, or monthly charge for using the Verizon app.

I have been with Verizon for over 15 years, and am for the most part happy with same, except for the "HARD SELL" I get every time I go into the store, and the blatant use of SEMANTICS when I come up for so called upgrades etc. I recently had a rather pressing situation that required me to go the physical location. I went to one of the smaller stores that are less crowded as I was in need of getting the issue addressed in a timely fashion, and what I assume is the main location always has a long wait time. On this occasion, I was in need of a cord to charge the phone in my vehicle, and upon check out the salesperson, informed me that I was due for an upgrade.I asked what that meant exactly, as I had been told that in the past, and when I looked into it, I found out that basically, that meant it was time to sell me a new phone. I explained my not being tech savvy, thus had taken me pretty much the years time from the last purchase at Verizon to become familiar with the current phone. I also told him that when that proposal was made to me in the past it involved me BUYING a new phone at a far greater price than I could buy the same phone for via the internet. I asked about the details and inquired about the cost. I was told the phone was at NO COST, as long as my phone was worth $20 as a trade-in. I had a feeling there had to be some catch, so I asked him to put his in writing, and he put the following on my receipt for the cord :  " If your phone is worth $20 You pay NOTHING in store for your upgrade. Deal ends-unspecified. S7 or S7 Edge. Quite frankly had I not been in such a hurry at the current time I would most likely have done this not realizing that the phone is not without cost on the contrary, but is billed to your account in monthly installments, I assume accruing interest, as I bought my old phone at the main store OUTRIGHT, and if I remember correctly it was due to there having been such a finance charge, though I couldn't swear to same.

Since I recently purchased the new Samsung S7 Edge and was speaking with Customer service, both online via chat, as well as via phone I have multiple questions that haven't been addressed. Apparently, when you switch phones there are apps that Verizon automatically adds to your service etc, without the customer having asked for them. I am now experiencing countless apps that are saying "Your free trial of ______, will end in _____ days" The fact is I NEVER signed up for any Trials, free or otherwise.  Yet if past history proves to be a predictor of current or future incidents, if I am not extremely diligent I will unknowingly get billed for something I had NO part of installing, haven't the foggiest how to utilize, and certainly never asked for much less agreed to pay for unless it is by use of the "SMALL PRINT" type thing. 

Afer I received the New Phone in the mail as well as the new SIM card, I once again called Customer Service to get advice. While I was on hold I heard for the VERY FIRST TIME anything about a discount being available for persons in associated with the Military, and I live at FT BRAGG, AKA Home of the 82nd Airbourne, and Special Operations. In 15 some odd years of being a loyal customer, and NOT changing to another carrier for a better deal, or a cheaper monthly charge etc, I was more than upset that NEVER has ANYONE, EVER made mention of this potential savings in the countless times I have been approached about selling me something or changing my plan to a higher data plan or extending my service contract another 2 years, and the most recent incidence when I was approached about buying a tablet, while I was at the same smaller store, on yet another urgent issue.

My most recent need for Verizon Customer Service was every bit as stressful, and proved to be yet another case of people trying to fleece me when I am in merely in need of assistance in a TIMELY fashion as I have an SUV full of live animals waiting in the elements!! While I was  inside the Animal Shelter and pulling animals for rescue, I needed to access a stored text to share with the Shelter Manager regarding a very serious matter and for some odd reason when I went to open up the phone to retrieve the number the phone displayed a pop-up box that said something in small letters, all I could see with these old eyes in the somewhat darkened kennels area was the word "Global". I had never seen that before and thus tried to close it. The box would not allow for anything other than accept as an option, and upon hitting accept my phone was for all intents and purposes rendered unusable. I could see incoming text messages, some of which were of utmost importance, but I could not respond in any way, I couldn't talk to text, nor type, nor call out. This posed a bigger issue than not being able to get the number I needed as I had fosters to take the animals to but no use of GPS etc, nor a means of communicating. So with a truck full of live animals I went back again to the small store, and this time I was meet by a female who did fix the issue by restarting the phone, proof I am a major tech DUMMY LOL.

While I was there and she was looking at my acct, she said I was eligible for an upgrade. I explained I already had the phone but had yet to switch, and was considering getting hubby to change providers and use Verizon, and he could use my old phone. She asked me why I hadn't activated the phone yet and I explained that I hadn't had time to get back with the Customer Service Representative that had texted me his number to assist with the switching of the old to new and saving the old phones files and contacts to the new phone. She was in the process of telling me about the latest deal regarding a tablet when I reiterated that I had LIVE animals waiting. Albeit it was still much faster than had I gone to the main store, I was OK with the required time necessary to do her sales pitch effectively. I too have been in Sales and I realize everyone has to make a living, and PROFIT is not a bad word.  In fact, I love doing business with successes, it most often means the firm/individual is doing something correctly, to have gained such status. When I let her know that I wasn't interested in the tablet regardless of the price, she and I got talking about what accessories I had for the phone. I also made mention of the military discount and having sent in to get considered for same but was yet to have received word as to whether the submitted info was adequate.  I let her know that I thought I had read about there being some more than stringent requirements for what documentation was deemed sufficient to receive said discount, and also believed to have read that it would be 2 full billing cycles before seeing the bill reflect the discount. She went on to show me cases and a  protective cover that was in stock, and some additional ones I could order. She said that knowing I was not tech savvy, I should do the switching in store there and that she would do so, as well as apply the military discount at the same time. I inquired about the cost, and she said there was a way around the required $20 charge and for me, however, there would be an activation fee for switching my husband over to Verizon, she instructed me to go home and get the new phone and come back to the store to buy the case and protective cover etc, and we would switch my hubby's phone over then as well. I had told her that I had received conflicting information regarding changing his current number from the representative on Chat, and the representatives that took the phone call via the 800#. She cleared up the matter and I finished my day and as the case selection at the store was scant at best I ordered one online and did the switch using the contact info sent to me via text from Customer Service representative at the Call center.

I was at home on my home's WiFi connection to do the switch... it seemed to go fine but upon opening up my Verizon account online to check on the status of the military discount, I saw a message in RED alerting me to the fact that I had been charged $15 for going over my data on the current plan. I got on the phone once again and explained to the Customer Support person all the details and that I was on my home's WiFI and was assisted by a Customer Service person, she tried to SELL me a more expensive plan with higher data to avoid doing this again. After saying no several times, I finally asked her to view my history and she would see that I don't utilize the 1G I had currently, and when she saw what I was saying to be true she credited my account for the charge.

As it stands currently, I have SOME of the contacts from the old phone on the new one, I have several unsolicited apps that I didn't ask for that I don't know if I will get charged for or not, I once again have some issue with some network connectivity, and continuously get apps such as Google maps that I DID install, and DO use rendered ineffective as I keep getting a notice that they can't function properly or at all for that matter, as there is NO internet connection. I have gone into settings and in the section titled Mobile Networks when clicked it shows the top line in dark print "Data Roaming Access" under which it says in light print "Connect to mobile networks while roaming "which when clicked on gives pop-up box with 3 options, then at the bottom, also in dark print is a section that says "Network Mode" and under that it says in bright blue print "Preferred network mode: Global, and when I click on that I see 3 options GLOBAL, LTE/CDMA, and lastly LTE/GSM/UMTS. I have NO CLUE as to what to choose nor if this is even related to the issues I am having.

If you see this and have ANY advise, suggestions, or observances I would greatly appreciate your input. I am from the day of the Dewey Decimal system, and the Card Catalog lol. Yes Kind Sir there are still some of us alive and kicking even in this day and time HaHa.:D

Most sincerely and with great appreciation,

Tamara P

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

One thing you may want to do is go into your application manager go to the 3 little dots on the right hand top

and go to show system apps. Then scroll down to DT Ignite and disable it this app will put all kinds of junk apps on your phone. This will stop this app from putting anymore bloatware on your phone.

0 Likes
TamaraPoche
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried what you suggested kathy65793 and it says some mess about disabling it will cause other apps to not function properly etc. Can't win for losing

0 Likes