Your Verizon Messages account was recently accessed from a new browser or device / Google Voice
scott617nj

Hey everyone,

I received the below automated text last night:

VZW Free Msg: Your Verizon Messages account was recently accessed from a new browser or device:

Firefox on Windows 8.1 at 10:20 PM EDT on 09/18/17 using IP Address: XXXXXXXXXX

Don't recognize this activity? Please login to My Verizon and change your password.

This was followed by several texts from random numbers stating:

"Your Google verification code is 878312"

"849212 is your Google Voice verification code."

"Your Google verification code is 565986"

"482501 is your Google Voice verification code."

I received those same 4 texts from the numbers "2200" and 614-695-4787".

I tried logging in online and my password was changed as well as my security question. I was quickly able to reset/change my password, thus successfully locking out whoever accessed my account. I confirmed with Verizon that my account was not changed in any way.

The only thing askew was this text in my messaging portal, which also appeared on my cell phone: https://i.imgur.com/ucRebiO.png

Overall, my question is: What the heck just happened? It seems as though someone used my cell # to setup a Google Voice account -- but why? Is there a way for me to undo anything they did? Am I vulnerable in any way?

I checked my Google accounts and there haven't been any new logins from devices I am unfamiliar with.

Thanks for any and all help!

Scott

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Your Verizon Messages account was recently accessed from a new browser or device / Google Voice
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's a very strange issue scott617nj .I'm glad you reached out and changed your password. I hope they haven't gotten any of your personal information. I don't see a way to undo anything they have done. I would recommend monitoring your credit and making sure nothing changes there.

JoeL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes