Web 2.0 Minutes Not Showing Up In Text Message
Susanl

I check my minutes used several times a month via the #MIN feature. I have AC so my Web 2.0 usage is counted as airtime. For the last three weeks or so my Web 2.0 does not show up on my MIN texts at all. It does show in my final bill though.

Always before the Web 2.0 may have shown up several hours after using them, but they always showed up.  Anyone else having this problem? It is a problem as sometimes I do come close to my minutes.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Web 2.0 Minutes Not Showing Up In Text Message
GodWIREless
Enthusiast - Level 1
I Would Suggest Switching To A Nationwide Plan, Or Even Have The Min. Use Sent As A Text To Your Phone.
Then You Won't Need To Log On To The Mobile web Feature, This Is One Of The Reasons Americas Choice Plans Are No More.
I've Ran Into This Problem A Couple Years Ago, And Am Very Happy Since I Moved From That Plan A Year Ago
0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

Beware of switching your plan.  I did that recently because my daughter wanted to upgrade her phone and the phone she really wanted required a switch to the current nation plan (don't know the name of it).  The store person told us there was no difference in the plans other than the LG phone required it.  When I got my bill next month, it was 15% higher because I was suddenly being charged for megabit pricing at $1.99 per Megabit (or any portion of it).  No more using up my airtime.

I would believe that web 2.0 will be megabit pricing.  So, make sure to ask lots of questions before switching plans.

0 Likes
BAN
Enthusiast - Level 2
one change that verizon wireless made when they changed to the nationwide plan series is that they now include mobile web in the actuall plan so you dont have to pay a monthly fee for it.  HOWEVER if you use any type of data while on a nationwide plan (browsing/downloading get it now applications or mobile web) and you do not have a data feature ($15 vcast vpack) you will be charged $1.99 per MB used.  Although they do have blocks available if you would like to add them.
0 Likes
C_DM

So, it looks like this issue still exists--basically all minute counters (whether online at My Verzion, on the phone via #MIN, through customer care, etc.) simply no longer seem to be accounting for airtime used for data for those who are on older plans like America's Choice (where data is charged as airtime).  This has started a few months ago it seems and has been quite mileading for those who are not on Nationwide plans and use data on their phones (like Mobile Web)--they would see their usage as much lower and then when they actually get a bill of course the data airtime is accounted for correctly there (as always) and many end up with many more mintues used, and often with overages since they had no idea they were going over.

Now, switching to other plans or anything of that sort is not really an answer to the problem, it's just a workaround.  The issue here is that as of a few months ago Verizon Wireless started omitting data usage airtime in the tracking (online or otherwise), which has been misleading to users on non Nationwide plans.  Given that this issue results in completely incorrect minute tracking, people have no real way to track their usage (tracking it on their own or via the counters on the phone is just not even close to accurate either).  Users on Nationwide plans have no issues like this as their tracking is correct since data isn't charged as airtime for them.

So, what happens to those of us on America's Choice and other older plans?  There's certainly an obligation on Verizon Wireless' part to provide proper service and features to them, and being able to track minutes that are used is one of the main features that simply has to be there for all of us who have plans with limited number of minutes. 

When will this issue be resolved?  It worked correctly all this time until a few months ago, so it can definitely be fixed, and given that it involves something as important as minutes which can result in overages, this would appear to be a pretty big tracking/billing issue that simply can't be ignored. 

0 Likes
C_DM
Looking at it a bit more, while it all still continues to this day, it looks like perhaps the data minutes are being counted as M2M minutes for some reason--I've noticed fairly high number of M2M minutes (both peak and off-peak) being reported while being sure that the number of M2M minutes actually used is nowhere close to the reported number. Given the missing data minutes when it comes to regular peak/off-peak minutes, and a larger than normal number of M2M minutes, it seems like perhaps the data minutes are being reported as M2M minutes for some reason.

This is definitely fairly misleading given that whether the minutes are simply not counted anywhere or are counted as M2M minutes the peak minute usage is never right in cases when data is used. For those that use data fairly consistently the difference can be rather large and they could never really track it correctly, only to find out the right number on the bill (since it seems that despite My Verizon, #MIN, and even VZW customer care not being able to report the right usage during the billing cycle, at the end of it the billing system counts the minutes correctly, where data minutes are accounted for and are not treated as M2M minutes).

Any ideas at all as to if this is still a known issue that is being worked on? Or when it would be fixed? Or how we can make sure it's known and should be fixed? Again, given that VZW has an obligation to support all the customers at the same level (and certainly doesn't have the right to mislead them) no matter if they are grandfathered or not, it's becoming a bit harsher to take that this issue is still there, and it's certainly pushing all this along to possibly become more and more of a larger policy and even legal issue for VZW.
0 Likes
NekoSaru
Contributor - Level 3

C, Have you tried speaking to Tech support at *611 instead of customer service? It could be that they are now under the M2M minutes instead as you said you noticed a change there. They normally can provide better information when it comes to features than customer service.

I couldn't offer much assistance as I added VCast when I decided to start using the web on my device. Plus, Elmo to go is a godsend when you have a toddler.

The Americas Choice II and Nationwide plans are the same cost. The only differences is you now can use Friends & Family (Alltel's My Circle) and data is calculated and charged differently.

0 Likes
C_DM

Thanks for the reply since it doesn't seem anyone is really replying in regards to this issue.  Unfortunately I've tried both customer service and technical support (straight from my mobile phone and over a landline) and each time end up getting transferred at least a few times with some of the transfers having long hold times and each time I talk to someone they don't quite seem to grasp the issue (and end up transferring to someone else essentially).

In terms of Nationwide plans, I certainly understand the differences and the pricing being essentially the same, but that's not quite the point in the end--I would like to and I certainly can (since VZW fully supports grandfathering) to remain on the plan I'm on, for whatever reasons, and certainly services like minute usage should work properly no matter if I'm on the latest plan or an older plan (I shouldn't feel I need to switch in order to get basic actually essential services like minute usage which are very much essential to the service VZW provides).

0 Likes
C_DM

Well, based on some good feedback from some who are involved with VZW on a different forum it looks like some progress was made on this actually known issue--it appears it has been fixed as of today (6/18) and the tracking is back to normal.  It took a while, but at least it's back to normal now.

And, what do you know, I went from being at a little over 100 peak minutes for the last week or so to suddenly being at bit under 500 peak minutes used. So, a few days before the end of my billing cycle, while all long I was only seeing very low usage, I'm suddenly over my minutes--if that's not completely misleading I don't know what is. In my case it's a good thing I have overage protection minutes that I got during my last upgrade, but it's still not right though to be penalized like that for an error on VZW's part basically. Yes, I know, the usage is mine of course, but without me having any real way to track it, and relying on VZW's features to do it for me, which they always have and have been promised to do so, is certainly misleading when they don't work correctly and show much lower usage for a few months.

It also doesn't seem that the M2M usage went down, so perhaps my theory of the data minutes being counted there wasn't quite on target (although I'm still surprised at the high M2M usage I seem to have, which is more than usual and I don't quite recall calling that many people on VZW's network).

Again, glad it's fixed, but for those who got hit with overages due to this I wonder if VZW would do something if they talked to them about it. 

0 Likes