I am having the same problem as a previous user. I did not add any block features, and up until yesterday, I was receiving SafePass text messages from my bank. However, for some reason, that has changed today.
I chatted online with a representative who told me to remove the battery from my phone and restart it. But that didn't fix anything.
I am also having a problem receiving SafePass messages from BoA. I don't know when it started but experienced it this evening. 3/29/11 10 PM CDT.
I called BoA. The rep indicated there were no problems as far as he could see on the BoA side. (He suggested I drop the SafePass service and have it re-initiated--with the appropriate service charge, of course. Yeah...I don't think so.)
So BoA thinks their messages are going out.
I tried the remove-replace-battery-restart method suggested below. No joy.
I haven't tried *228 option 1 to re-program. I have not to my knowledge made any changes in my service plan. And I've paid my bill. On time.
Hopefully the technical services groups from BoA and Verizon have gotten beyond Stage 1 of Troubleshooting (finger pointing) and are working on resolving the problem.
In the interim, it looks like one can turn off SafePass and use SiteKey challenge questions on the BoA site to do whatever one needs to do. Log in, go to Customer Service tab, select "View your SafePass settings" in the Security Features nav pane.
I spoke to Verizon Support. It seems that Premium(?) text messaging, which BoA SafePass messages are considered to be, has been blocked by Verizon since Sep 2008. However, my old phone was somehow able to defeat this block so I was still getting the messages.
When I switched phones, the message blocking kicked in. Verizon was able to lift the message blocking on my account. I was able to successfully test SafePass once the block was lifted.
same problem, customer service saying everything is unblocked on my phone -- Verizon needs to fix this! When I was on ATT last month had no problem receiving safepass text msgs.
I have the same problem. since i switched from AT&T 3 weeks ago. I no longer receive alert text messages from Yahoo, Bank of america and I also don't get a response if I google a question to 46645 i don't get a response. i txt 242 242 and get a response right away.
I had verizon switch my number to a different phone for a few hours today and still have the same problem.
so far, spent more than 5 hours on the phone with 7 or 8 different people and still can't fix this. All cellphone to cellphone texts seem to work fine.
This doesn't seem to be limited to Verizion, but may have something to do with the Android OS. Was receiving these fine on T-Mobile with unlocked iPhone, then switched to Verizon/Thunderbolt, whereupon I stopped receiving them. Switched back to T-Mobile 2 weeks later, but this time with another Android phone (Galaxy S) instead of the iPhone. I am now having the problem at T-mobile.
I also see the problem with PayPayl's verification messages (i.e. don't receive those now either).
Still looking for a solution.
Does your new line have picture messaging enabled? I know you most likely have email, which can receive pictures, but some of these messages come through as a picture message and not a text message. This could be why you receive some and not others.
Additionally, when I switched devices, I was also not getting my messages from Bank of America. I downloaded the Bank of America application and when attempting to log in, I got a message that the app did not recognize my device. This was due to the fact that I had just switched phones. Once I went through the process so the app recognized my phone, the messages started again. Please download the BOA application to see if you get the same message.
Please let us know the results, thank you!
Update: Checked on wife's MyTouch which also runs Android 2.2.1 and she receives with no problem. She's been with T-mobile all along.
I'm starting to think that Verizon does something when provisioning the number that disables certain text messaging in the carrier network at-large (i.e. something that stays attached to the number, even when it has been re-provisioned on another carrier).
Actually, I spent about 8-10 hours (6 calls) on the phone with Verizon (even had my IT dept on it for a few). also spent a few with B of A (about 5 calls).
this doesn't have anything to do with Android or my phone model. I tested 3 different Android phones on AT&T before I switched to VZW and didn't have any problems.
Verizon suspected the Hardware (Droid 3) so I had them switch my number to a different phone (different model, different brand) and still had the exact same problem.
Now BofA and Google actually started working a few hours after my last (4 hours) call to vzw where they couldn't figure it out.
The only thing that still doesn't work for me is yahoo Alerts. which is a huge pain since this is where I get all my personal emails and use the txt alerts for certain important (very) emails.
I think it might take a few weeks for these networks to figure out that you have changed carriers and reset themselves.
Sorry Christina, didn't answer your question.
The first call I made to Vzw, they checked all my settings, SMS, all kinds, MMS, Data plans, etc.. (this is a corporate account)
even had them completely reset everything and still no change.