Re: Texts should be free
TextMessageRipOff_10

sadly, those aren't able to be used on my elder relatives or my friends with dumbphones. no way my mom can figure out any of those programs.

0 Likes
bigtitan
Contributor - Level 2

This thread is highly amusing...but really, YOU pay what VZW charges for text because YOU choose to. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

TextMessageRipOff$10 wrote:

sadly, those aren't able to be used on my elder relatives or my friends with dumbphones. no way my mom can figure out any of those programs.

Yes they are actually...

Google Voice works just like a phone text.

AIM gives you the option of using SMS protocol and sending to a mobile number.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

bigtitan wrote:

This thread is highly amusing...but really, YOU pay what VZW charges for text because YOU choose to. 

Exactly... I bet if more people stopped paying for it the price will drop significantly or would be added to bundled plans.  Yet people are willing to pay $10-30 for texting plans.

0 Likes
TextMessageRipOff_10

I hear ya, but this was brought before Congress not too long ago for Anti Trust/Collusion/Price Fixing. There is another side to this. Carriers raise these rates in lock step. Now with the right amount of money, any problem can go away. I am investing in Forever stamps and I am just going to send mail letters.

0 Likes
TextMessageRipOff_10

Its kinda tough to get everyone I know on that stuff. If they send me a message traditioanlly , I get cahrged.  Its a start though...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Use Google Voice... It's exactly like texting like normal. Doesn't have MMS support but it will soon. Google has been working on it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If you think about it... Everything is price fixed when you buy from somewhere. There's only so far you can go without losing money.

0 Likes
TextMessageRipOff_10

In your opinion, what is the easiest, most dumb proof program/way to skirt these charges that would reach the most people for free? AIM or Google Voice?

0 Likes
TextMessageRipOff_10

this is more along what I am talking about - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Antitrust_Act

0 Likes