Texting a U.S. based verizon phone that is IN Canada
sportznut2408

Hey all,

I've been researching this topic for probably the past two months now.. my boyfriend is currently working for Disney on Ice and is traveling in Canada right now.

In December I traveled to Toronto to visit him and was very unaware of the fact of roaming charges that are .69 cents a minute. I was charged for that but I was also texting while I was there and do not see any kind of texting charge on my bill.

My mother and I have both spoken to support at verizon: when my mother called she was told it would be .20 cents and .25 cents for sending and receiving i'm unsure of what is what right now.. then I called last night and the lady told me it would be .20 cents for both sending and receiving.

Also, I have been checking to see the usage of text messaging online and all of the messages we have been sending are listed as domestic m2m.

Can anyone please clarify with me if they have traveled and have gotten charged? Again, I went to Toronto and do not see any charges on my bill from texting in Canada with my U.S. based verizon phone.

Please help! Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Texting a U.S. based verizon phone that is IN Canada
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

On the International Roaming: Rates and Coverage page we can find your answer.

Look under International CDMA Roaming Text Messaging Rates.

You'll see it says: While IN Canada you are charged the domestic rate or per your plan. Meaning messages are deducted from your plan unless unlimited or .20/message if you're not paying for a text plan at all. 

So if either one of you continues to roam in Canada, your best bet is using text, not voice. 

View solution in original post

nmchileman
Master - Level 3

On the International Roaming: Rates and Coverage page we can find your answer.

Look under International CDMA Roaming Text Messaging Rates.

You'll see it says: While IN Canada you are charged the domestic rate or per your plan. Meaning messages are deducted from your plan unless unlimited or .20/message if you're not paying for a text plan at all. 

So if either one of you continues to roam in Canada, your best bet is using text, not voice. 

sportznut2408

thank you very much! I assumed that we would not get charged, just needed someone else's opinion also! I appreciate your help!

0 Likes