Texting Between the DR & the U.S. Let's break down some logic.
bokamaru

My girlfriend is studying abroad in the Dominican Republic and using Orange (809 number) and I'm here in the U.S. with a 500-text-per-month plan.  What I've been trying to figure out via this message board, the Verizon site, and calling Verizon, is whether it would cost either of us money to text one another.  Unfortunately, I'm getting conflicting accounts, and the (kind) Verizon lady was as clueless as I was.  (I know this exact topic was discussed in another thread, but no supporting reference from Verizon was actually used.)

This text has been quoted often:

"While traveling in the U.S.,Canada, Dominican Republic, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico text messages sent to non-U.S. phone numbers of participating carriers will not be applied against any monthly text messaging allowance and are charged the following:

• $0.25/address sent
  • $0.20/message received

Text messages sent to phone numbers in Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico are charged domestic rates per your plan.

While traveling outside the U.S., Canada, Dominican Republic, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico the text messaging rates are:

• $0.50/address sent
  • $0.05/message received
*These text messages are not applied against any monthly text messaging allowance."
To me, this says that she is "traveling in the... DR", and texting a U.S. phone number, so she will not be charged to send/receive.  However, because I'm in the U.S. and sending to a non-U.S. number that is not in Canada, Mexico, or Puerto Rico, I get slammed with sent/received fees.  Is this correct?  Thanks much for any input!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Texting Between the DR & the U.S. Let's break down some logic.
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

You said she use's Orange? So you don't want to judge if she's going to get charged or not based off a Verizon website. It depends on her carrier if she's going to get charged or not. You will be charged the international rates for messaging her, .25 to send and .20 receive.

Email is going to be your friend in this case, you can send/receive a SMS to an email address and it just counts as 1 message.

Unfortunately, there is no type of plan that will cover international messaging.

0 Likes
Re: Texting Between the DR & the U.S. Let's break down some logic.
bokamaru

Thanks for the reply.  I was under the mistaken impression that Orange was somehow under the Verizon umbrella.  (Whoops!)

And really, Skype will probably be my new best friend.

0 Likes