Text from Verizon about increasing number of characters in text to non-Verizon devices
Taliesin0218

I got a text the other day (as well as everyone in my family) that Verizon was going to increase the number of characters you could have in a text to a non-Verizon device from 160 to 1140.  It was supposed to have taken effect January 19th or something.  Anyone know anything about this?  Hoax?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text from Verizon about increasing number of characters in text to non-Verizon devices
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, not a hoax.  You can now send 160+ and it will split the message into 2 or more pages/messages and send. 

0 Likes
Re: Text from Verizon about increasing number of characters in text to non-Verizon devices
Dalejrfan88

I got a text this AM that said I could now text non verizon customers up to 1120 characters, is this real?  So if I keep typing a message past 160 characters, will it just be sent as two messages?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Depending on their carrier, it will be received as two or more messages.  Verizon used to cut the messages at 160 - that's been modified so it now sends the full message broken into 160 character "pages".

0 Likes
tholos

When I am texting someone on a non-verizon carrier, they tell me that my text just gets cut off, and there is no second text message sent, any idea why? I got the same text with the broken into segment information this morning

0 Likes
budone
Legend

tholos wrote:

When I am texting someone on a non-verizon carrier, they tell me that my text just gets cut off, and there is no second text message sent, any idea why? I got the same text with the broken into segment information this morning

It could be the receivers carrier only accepts 160 character texts. However the major carriers my friends have all accept longer texts.

0 Likes
tholos

Does AT&T accept more than 160?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

tholos wrote:

Does AT&T accept more than 160?

I never had my son say he didnt receive all my msg and I have sent messages over 160 characters.

0 Likes
tholos

Okay, well I don't know if maybe it's the person I'm texting but they say it's cutting off after 160 characters and there isn't a second message, and they are on AT&T

0 Likes
budone
Legend

tholos wrote:

Okay, well I don't know if maybe it's the person I'm texting but they say it's cutting off after 160 characters and there isn't a second message, and they are on AT&T

Be happy to a point. There are many on here upset because the messages they send to ATT subscribers never make it

0 Likes