Text coming from contact and they say they didn't send it!
ynotintx

I am receiving text from a number listed in my contacts and they say they didn't send it. Is it possible for a text to come from somewhere other than the number that it appears to come from. This person is harassing me with with text and saying its not her when my cell phone says it is. Thank you in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text coming from contact and they say they didn't send it!
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

It is possible that someone is using a web site to send text messages from. Someone can go to Verizon's text web site (HERE) and input your phone number. Then input her phone number in the from spot...that makes it look like it is coming from her.   

0 Likes
ynotintx

I tried that using my wife's contact info and it shows up as "unverified sender" not as my contact. 

I did a search and checked several spoofing sites and they all say spoofing text are blocked by the cell companies in the United States. In addition Verizon can obviously tell the difference because I can enter info from a number in my contacts that I have blocked and it comes through so they know it is not from the number I have blocked.

If you know of another site that sends a text that wont show "unverified sender" I will test it but I believe these messages come from the person my phone says they are from. I blocked the problem number yesterday and no more problem text came through. I don't care who they really come from if its not my contact but I do want to know if this can be done so I won't continue to think this person is lying about sending them. Thank you!

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I know all about spoofing. I know you can spoof a call, but I didn't think you could spoof a text. See with spoof calling you can make any number appear on Caller ID along with changing your voice. I found this SMS Spoofing web site....I guess anything is possible.

About SMS Spoofing and How it's Done

Nowadays SMS spoofing is not as easy as it used to be back when we first opened this site. Bulk text messaging carriers, who typically enabled their customers to set their number A.K.A. Sender ID, now feel the need to police their services and restrict their customers from using this feature. An example would be Clickatell. Clickatell is one of the worlds largest bulk SMS providers and their customers probably send millions of text messages a day through their services. To avoid any legal issues with the mobile carriers, Clickatell now restricts the use of the Sender ID so people cannot spoof SMS with any name or number they choose, even though setting your reply address may be a crucial need and is a very fundamental feature of sending SMS messages. Clickatell probably lets certain users set the Sender ID, for obvious reasons, but its not as easy as it was years ago. There are still bulk text messaging providers out there that will allow you to spoof text messages with any name or number, you just have to search around to find them and even demo their services to see if its an unmentioned feature!

0 Likes