Text Spam has now outgrown my personal text messages --- ugh
mickeybr

It's now official. I'm receiving 1-3 text spam messages a day. All from different numbers. Some still from the 5 digit numbers even though I called Verizon and they said that they blocked all the short code messages. The 5 numbers I can block do nothing to help (plus they expire!) as the number is different every time.

I've called Verizon at least 4 times this year over this issue. It was especially problematic when I was paying per message, because I never texted to a level where I needed to pay extra. If my text goes over 500 in a month, I'm subracting the spam text messages from my bill thank you.

And I'm sorry, but I REFUSE to pay an extra $4.99 to get to blocka n additional 5 numbers (that probably will still expire then I have to add them again)..

I get the feeling that Verizon is not very motivated to stop Text Spamming as it just adds to their revenue. I want to know what Verizon is doing about this. If nothing, then perhaps I just need to drop the Text messaging entirely and block it all. Then when I find another carrier where I don't have to PAY for text spam, I'll switch...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text Spam has now outgrown my personal text messages --- ugh
mickeybr

Here's the numbers that are sending me text spam.... anyone else get these? I've put the top 5 in my block list, but as mentioned its usually a new number each time. If I could block an entire exchange (or only allow certain ones).... that would be a more effective option...

4808233342 NEED CASH NOW?

9495296163 Do you owe over $10,000 in IRS...

9495296156 Do you owe over $10,000 in IRS...

9495296169 Do you owe over $10,000 in IRS...

7143056341 Do you owe over $10,000 in IRS...

3373858758 Do you need some money this week?

2032426898 Do you need some money this week?

63273             Thx 4 visiting our site Call 1-800                       (no website link BTW)

8182849511 As a Thank you for visiting our site,                   (no website link)

8643760755 As a Thank you for visiting our site,                   (no website link)

8184280189 david, You are invited to One Ad A Day             (my name is not david BTW)

9284586750 Great News! Your holiday Laptop Rewards

3158782239 Need some quick cash?

2172207100 Thanks for visiting our site!                                 (no website link)

Also as a recommendation DO NOT respond with STOP, out, or anything else. It only invites more tex spam with different numbers.

I've put my cell phone number on the National Do NOT CALL registry, but I don't think it applies to text messaging.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm not sure if this will help, but some phones have an option to accept text/calls from contacts only. Go into your phone's Settings, Security (your passcode or unlock code is the last 4 of your phone # by default) and see if you can restrict incoming texts to contacts only.
0 Likes
LenaA_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you everyone for the information provided. Mickeybr, I can understand your concern with the unwanted messages. If you have not done so, please add the Premium SMS Block on your line to avoid these spam messages. Additionally, you may register your number on the National Do Not call list by going to https://www.donotcall.gov/

You may also stop these messages by replying back with the word QUIT or STOP then send the message. If this continues to be an ongoing issue, we recommend a phone number change. You may change your mobile number at no cost by logging on My Verizon. 

Thank you,

0 Likes
bhotchkiss
Enthusiast - Level 1

Changing a phone number is a ridiculous suggestion. You people need to figure out how to better help your customer on this other than an additional $4.99 fee per month.

Blocking Text Messages

Block Text Messages

vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Good morning and thank you for all of the responses from the community.

mickybr, I completely understand you being upset and frustrated with the unwanted/ unsolicited spam messages.  I would be pretty upset if I had to pay, (or pay extra), for this nonsense!  Do you have a Smartphone?  If so, the messages may be coming from an application that was downloaded.  With many of the 3rd party applications, when downloading, you are agreeing to receive these messages.  This happened to me as well.  When did you start receiving these messages?  This may give you an idea of what applications were downloaded at that time, which may help you know which applications will need to be removed for the messages to stop.  A Hard Reset is a bit of an extreme, but will remove all applications, and then you can start all over again, download applications a few at a time.  If you start getting messages again, you will know which one(s) are causing this to happen. 

If you need assistance with removing applications, or possibly a Hard Reset, please let me know what device you have so I can provide you with the steps for your phone.

I trust this information is helpful.

Thank you,

Vanessa

Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
mickeybr

It's starting to get worse. I've tried using the 5 phone slots for numbers that are 10 digits, but there is too many of them. The worst offenders are the ones with less than 10 digits. I thought the premium SMS block was supposed to stop these?

I'm very careful with what applications I load on my smartphone and read all the permissions. I've never seen one that allows a company to text spam you.

What's even worse now is that I get these texts 3 or 4 in the morning and get to hear my phone go off if I have the volume up.

I've started to report them to 7726, but that has not helped. It's always a new number unless it's less than 10 digits.

I still refuse to pay an extra $4.99 a month to control this spam. Shame on Verizon for taking advantage of their customers to make a profit for providing a service that should be included in the price we are already paying.

Now if you simply allowed your customers to manage their account by filtering their own numbers (by exchange) and maybe even by keywords without restrictions, then I would not be posting this here.

Here's my latest list (from the beginning of the year until now)

NumberMessageDateTime
43554Hiring in your Area! Mystery Shoppers Needed.4/16/201211:16am
43554Thanks for your submission! Get your $100 Gift Card now.4/14/201212:37pm
43554Hiring in your Area! Mystery Shoppers Needed.4/14/201210:38am
409-383-3211We're giving away the new iPad4/14/201212:13pm
910-478-6178We are giving away the new iPad4/10/201210:33pm
334-435-4924We are giving away iPad2s4/2/20128:15pm
605-201-8949We are giving away iPad2's3/26/20124:51am
269-348-5822Test and Keep an iPhone 5!3/20/20122:04am
562-659-2185Do you need some extra FUND$?2/23/201212:54pm
801-635-6716David you have been selected to receive a FREE $50 Target Gift voucher1/12/201210:47am
0 Likes
mickeybr

SuzyQ,

This would be a halfway decent alternative if it were available on the Droid Incredible, but I don't see it.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

This is infuriating. I'd be so mad too. It seems you've tried everything I'd suggest. The only other thing I can think of, if you haven't already done this, is go to the Internet Spam Blocking tab in My Verizon and check the boxes to block texts sent from the Web and/or e-mail. A lot of text spam originates from Web sites. If you've already done this, all I can add is good luck getting this resolved.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

How long have you had your number?

Also, And I am surprised the VZW reps did not mention it, log into your MyVerizon account.

Under the PROFILE Column, choose the last option, Manage Privacy Settings. Be sure the DO NOT SHARE MY CPNI is marked for both options. And save

If your number was available to 3rd party companies, blocking your number now will not kill the texts immediately, but the texts should slow down I would think about 15-30 days out.

0 Likes