Stuck in Group Conversation with a Limited Text Plan
GPhil

I have a 250 text plan.  I don't like texting much and don't want to pay extra to upgrade.  I have a few friends who are obsessed with group texting, which leads to stupid side conversations that are irreverent to me.  Over the past week, there have been about 150 texts going back and forth among my friends.  They know I have a limited plan, but they just won't stop.  Today I decided that I was going to start blocking phone numbers of the worst offenders.  It seemed to be working as I started getting alerts to download MMS messages, but could not download and view them from those numbers I blocked.  However, once I got home and on Wifi, those blocked numbers are again able to send me texts and it appears the blocking is being ignored.  This is annoying as I have to pay $0.10 for every stupid message that I get.  I use Message+ and have the option enabled that lets me text via a computer or my tablet, which is connected to wifi.  This is absolutely annoying, as I cannot make them stop.  It's costing my money.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Stuck in Group Conversation with a Limited Text Plan
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Well, it appears you need to firmly tell them not to include you, block them altogether, or increase your plan. Nothing here that we, a peer to peer group, can advise you otherwise.

0 Likes
GPhil

I did block the numbers.  The point I'm trying to make is that Verizon's blocking service does not work.  I thought a verizon forum would be helpful, but I guess I'll have to escalate to a Verizon CSR instead.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

That's not escalating. That's the first line of defense.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Use a different messenger such as Hangouts that will allow you to block texts from specific numbers.

0 Likes
GPhil

I may be able to block the texts within the app, but Verizon still processes the SMS and tries to pass the texts through.  I would still be billed.  I have 2 numbers blocked through the Verizon website, which should filter out and prevent all calls and texts, but I still get the texts.  There is something wrong with the filters at Verizon.

0 Likes