Spam Text
Stanner

I've begun to get a flurry of spam text messages (from 265-019, -060, -061, -062, -063)  I forwarded them to Verizon's Spam report (7726) and responded to Verizon's reply, asking for the sender's number.  In each case, I then received a VZW MSG that "It is likely your message came from a short code.  Please return to the original message and reply STOP."

Is this really the right way to handle this?  I've always thought it was exactly the wrong thing to do to respond to a spam text, call or email, since that just confirms to the spammer that they hit a "live" number.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Spam Text
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

You are correct ... Verizon's spam-reporting service is in fact for full phone numbers and not short code, as you stated.

According to the FCC's Web site, short code message users must provide a way to reject future messages (replying stop), and you can file a complaint if they don't stop.

I never get those short code messages. I added premium text message block and Internet spam block to my account through My Verizon, and also registered my number on the Do Not Call list.

View solution in original post

Re: Spam Text
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

You are correct ... Verizon's spam-reporting service is in fact for full phone numbers and not short code, as you stated.

According to the FCC's Web site, short code message users must provide a way to reject future messages (replying stop), and you can file a complaint if they don't stop.

I never get those short code messages. I added premium text message block and Internet spam block to my account through My Verizon, and also registered my number on the Do Not Call list.