Re: Recent Group Text Message Issues
KRIKAR3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Galaxy S6 and am using the most recent versions of message+. The unrecognized number began when I got the new update and decided to try creating groups.  The very first group message I sent went out from an unrecognized number.  The recipients both have iPhones and may not be on Verizon so there's no way to make sure everyone is using the same messaging platform.  It makes no sense to me why any messages from me should ever send from another number, no matter what platform everyone is using.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to clear up this current issue with the most recent Message+ update, KRIKAR3. When using the group messaging feature and sending the message to a non Message+ user, they will notice the number of the actual group chat listed instead of your mobile number.

ChrisM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Soccer-Mom
Enthusiast - Level 1

@mjctgee23 - I have read through this post but can't really find an answer to your questions or a resolution. Did you ever figure this out? My messages USED to be from me - I never HAD to create a group for multiple recipients until today. My "group" message is showing up as a message from 588 area code and the recipient is having all numbers show up even if they are in their contacts. I can not send to more than 1 person without creating a group. I am very annoyed! (this whole nougat upgrade is ridiculous - IMO)

0 Likes
MNGOODGUY1

[Removed] My friends and I have the same problem...only some of the group get names and others get phone numbers.  Also the mysterious 588.

off topic discussion removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service 

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello MNGOODGUY1,

I would be concerned too if this were happening with my messages. What is the make and model of your phone? Are all recipients using Verizon Messages? Are all using Verizon Wireless service?

ChristopherM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MNGOODGUY1

My phone is a Samsung5.  Lord NO, do my friends all have same message app and service... I am assuming this would be a VERY unusual circumstance where all friends in a group have same messenger app and service.  Is this the only way to send a decent group message?  I spose if you only have 2 friends that might be doable.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MNGOODGUY1,

We want to get to the bottom of this group message debacle. I appreciate these details. Can you please go to the Play Store & make sure that Verizon Messages app is updated? When did this problem start to happen?

AliciaS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!"

0 Likes
JANLAN20

I created my first "group" text today and had the same issue - unknown number with a 588 area code.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S5.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JANLAN20,

I’m here to help get these group texts to work like they should. Let’s first make sure that the Verizon Messages app is updated in the Play store. Can you please confirm that it is up to date? Please provide the steps in which you created the group message.

AliciaS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!"

0 Likes
Solstice_Moon

Hi All,

This mystery 588 number is happening to me as well when sending out a group text. I have the Galaxy S7 and for me, it as well did not start happening until the update. I was just on the phone with Tech Support, unfortunately, with no resolve. It seems to only happen with new groups vs. established groups. The mystery 588 number is portrayed as the sender of the text.

0 Likes