Recent Group Text Message Issues
mjctgee23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last week something has changed with the Verizon Messenger+ program on my Samsung S7. If I create a group, and send a group message, the recipients only see phone numbers, not a name, even though they have those same people in their contacts. And there's also an extra phone number that isn't one of the people in the text group. It's like Verizon created the group message using another phone number. Also, starting last weekend, whenever I try to send a text with an image to more than one person, it automatically makes me create a group. I don't want to create a group every time I send messages to multiple people. How can these issues be fixed?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Recent Group Text Message Issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention mjctgee23. There were a few issues when the app was updated and we were aware of them. There have since been a few more updates to the app. Are you on the most recent version?

ErinW_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mjctgee23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe so, it's set to 'auto-update.' I'm not sure how to 'update' it

like I can the other apps, it doesn't have an 'update' button.

I just tried sending a message this morning to 3 people, and it made me

create a group. Then, when the people get the message there's a strange

number associated with the message. Not a fan of the create a group thing,

and it's very prominent at the top of the app every time I create a

message.

Also, when I'm creating a message and adding names to the To field, there's

a grey bar that says Recipients reply to> Group MMS Just Me . What's the

difference between Group and MMS?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 8:30 AM, vzw_customer_support <

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a good question, mjctgee23. The most recent update should just have the option of MMS and Just Me. This allows you to have the response stick in the group message instead of individual response.

DerekR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for double checking, mjctgee23. The MMS option is actually something that your phone always did but may be new to see. MMS is short for Multimedia Message Service, which is used when sending text with pictures or to groups or even longer messages or special characters. If you pick the “Just Me” option you mentioned, that will allow you to send a mass text to multiple people at once but without those people seeing that you sent it to a larger number of people. When they reply, their reply will only go to you instead of the entire group. So to send the message to multiple people but not in a group setting, select the “Just Me” option.

While you’re in Message+, please go into Menu (three horizontal lines) then About and let me know the version you have. Also while you’re in Menu, please go into Settings and see if Group Conversations is checked to Use MMS to start group conversations. If it is, uncheck it then restart the application and try out a new group message. 

JenniferH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KRIKAR3
Enthusiast - Level 2

But what about the message sending out to the group from an unrecognized number? That happened to me also: I tried to create a group with two co-workers who had my phone number in their contacts. But when they received the message from my new group, it came up like it was coming from a completely different number. I don't want that to happen so I haven't made any more groups. I want the message to still be coming from me!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your concern regarding the message sending from an unrecognized number, Krikar3. What version of Message + are you using? Are you using the Samsung S7 as well? When did the unrecognized number issue begin?

TionnaB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KRIKAR3, let’s get all of your Verizon Messenger+ concerns addressed. Are all of your group recipients using Verizon Messenger+? If they are, please make sure that they are using the latest version. Do you have more than one device synced to your Verizon Messenger+ account? After everyone is updated, please retest and let us know what happens

JoelR_VZW

0 Likes
awerner
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think you are getting your question answered.  What you are seeing is that Verizon had two ways of creating a 'group' chat.  MMS group chat, which is what we normally see and Group Chat which allows you to have additional features BUT the messages appear to be from an unknown number and all responds are sent back and forth from that number.

In my opinion if everyone in your group isn't on Verizon Messages it looks pretty unusual to those not using Messages.  I'm going to be sticking with MMS Groups for now since several of my friends are on iPhones and don't/won't use messages+.

0 Likes
KRIKAR3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, awerner.  I guess that is the case.  Doesn't make any sense to me why a message from me would send from an alternate number, no matter what platform the receivers are using. I won't be using the Message+ group feature, either.

0 Likes