No unlimited picture messaging on smartphone
metsfan1

How is that the $10 a month unlimited messaging plan (500 for out of verizon) does not cover smartphones when it applies to picture messaging? It is false advertising to say unlimited text/pic messages yet the picture messages don't apply to smartphones unless a data plan is purchased for $45 a month. And on top of that, there is no way to disable picture messaging without disabling text messaging basically screwing yourself over if a picture message is sent. According to a rep at my local verizon store, even though I disabled the data connection on my phone, picture messages that are received, are done so at the ludicrous rate of $.015 per kb (or $2-3 per picture depending on the phone that took it).

So why is picture messaging suddenly dropped from the plan on a smartphone and why is it that picture messaging itself can't be disabled (as stated by a rep at my local verizon store)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No unlimited picture messaging on smartphone
Cobalt
Contributor - Level 1

Smartphones used to accumulate kb usage when picture/video messaging, but it was changed to not be so starting in December of 2007, whereby the messages just used up your allowance of messages.

If you went with the pay as you go kb plan for your smartphone (assuming your smartphone was released before November of 2008 when the data plan became necessary), you will not accumulate kb usage for sending/receiving picture/video messaging.  You would only generate kb usage when using the internet browser/email functions on the phone, or using any other software that you downloaded on to the phone that required internet access.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cobalt
Contributor - Level 1
Picture messaging on a smart phone does not use up kbs of data; it is billed as per your messaging plan.  If you block out the email/web functions on your smart phone, it will, as a side effect, prevent picture/video messaging.
0 Likes
metsfan1

Are you positive that is true? as the sales person at my verizon store said if I don't have a data plan I would be billed by the kilobyte for each picture message that is sent/received

0 Likes
mmmcheezy
Enthusiast - Level 3

You actually do incur KBs when pix/flixing on a smartphone.  It needs to connect to the web to send/recieve these messages, so it works differently than a regular cell phone. 

This isn't how it works 100% of the time--just when you're roaming on the extended network, but when you sit on pay as u go for data, you run the risk of incuring KB usage chgs if you're ever picking up a signal from another carrier's tower. 

Generally speaking, KB usage charges [at least when they're only incurred thru pix/flix] are pretty minimal and don't tend to run over I would say three-five dollars per month even with pretty heaving pix/flixing. 

0 Likes
Cobalt
Contributor - Level 1

Smartphones used to accumulate kb usage when picture/video messaging, but it was changed to not be so starting in December of 2007, whereby the messages just used up your allowance of messages.

If you went with the pay as you go kb plan for your smartphone (assuming your smartphone was released before November of 2008 when the data plan became necessary), you will not accumulate kb usage for sending/receiving picture/video messaging.  You would only generate kb usage when using the internet browser/email functions on the phone, or using any other software that you downloaded on to the phone that required internet access.

0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

Cobalt wrote:

QFT (quoted for truth)

0 Likes
metsfan1
Thank you, I figured the sales rep was wrong and what you were saying was right. The phone is the Samsung SCHi760 so I didn't need to pay for a mandatory data plan.
0 Likes
xThorx
Hi metsfan1 i am assuming you own and use the SCHi760, i am looking to buy one but i dont want to buy a data plan, are you currently using the SCHi760 with out a data plan?
0 Likes