New to Verizon/Have a Data Question
ladyvirtue

I've read that if I call Verizon they won't be able to tell me what the date charges are for exactly, so maybe someone here can help me. If not I guess I'll take my chances with them.

We don't have a data plan, but we do have a family plan with unlimited messaging. I'm trying to understand where the data charges are coming from so we can elimiate the issue.

We all changed our keys to we can't accidentally go on the internet the very first day we activated our phones. The kids text, AIM, and picture message like crazy. Both teens each have one charge for one usage. Viewing the bill, it gives a date and time of usage but says the actual usage is 0.0. When I look at the list of calls, texts, etc, to see what they were doing at the time it gives, one line has a M2M txt msg and the other doesn't have anything...a few mintues before and after has SMS though.

Are there certain ways of texting and messaging that cause data charges, while other's don't? They both have Rivals if it matters.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New to Verizon/Have a Data Question
Seda13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well thats good that you changed your short cut keys. Just to let you know that while your kids are using AIM it will incur MB usage to sign in, refresh the list, add/delete contacts, etc . . . but it will use txt messages when they are chatting with someone. That may be why your are seeing data charges on your bill. And just a little reminder that browsing for applications in the media center and downloading applications to the phone will also incur MB charges. HTH

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Seda13 wrote:

....while your kids are using AIM it will incur MB usage to sign in, refresh the list, add/delete contacts, etc . . . but it will use txt messages when they are chatting with someone...And just a little reminder that browsing for applications in the media center and downloading applications to the phone will also incur MB charge

Just a bit of clarification - the initial download of the MobileIM application will incur a data charge, if you had to download and install it.  It came already installed on mine.  And although Seda13 is correct it does USE data to sign in , update lists, etc - you do not get charged for this.  The charges may be as Seda correctly stated, browsing apps, ringtones, etc.

You can prevent just about everything by changing your shortcut keys, and then blocking downloads, web browsing, and doing everything short of applying the National Access Block (as that block picture messaging as well).

0 Likes
blmoney

I've been checking the board out today and I'm very confused with this data plan slash Mobile IM dilemma.  I just upgraded to the LG EnV 3 today and my phone has the AIM, MSN and YAHOO applications already installed on the phone.  I currently have the 1400 Minutes Family Package w/ Unlimited Text, Video and Picture messaging.  Is it "FREE" to sign on/off MOBILE IM, to add/delete people, send/receive messages, etc. Since I have unlimited texting? The apps where already on my phone, I just entered my login and pass and signed on. Is there any data charge for using this service?

0 Likes
blmoney

Oh and does Mobile IM use airtime minutes? Signing on/off, sending texts, etc.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK--let's see if I can clarify for you.  If MobileIM was pre-installed on your phone (as it was on mine), and you have unlimited text/pix/flix, the Mobile IM does not cost you anything to use. The messages sent and received are counted as text messages, which for you are unlimited.  It IS using a data connection to sign on, update, and send messages, but you are NOT charged data fees.  The data icon on your phone will show activity, but it will not show up on your bill.  If you are getting data charges, it is from something else.  No airtime is used either.

Hope this answers your questions....

0 Likes