Network Failure when sending to Short Codes
Makinso

Ever since I got this phone a couple years ago, I've been able to send and receive texts from short codes just fine. The one I primarily send and receive from is AOL Instant Messenger, where my girlfriend will send me a message from there, and I can easily reply to the short code, and so on.

But lately, the past week or so, I get nothing but "network failure" and "general problems" errors every single time I try to send a text to these short codes. Another one is Pay By Mobile (Paymo) in which I receive the text to confirm the charge. When I go to reply, it gives me those same errors.. preventing me from charging to my phone at all.

No, there is not a block for premium messaging on my phone. Yes, I have done *226 and done both options 1 and 2, and even tried the battery thing. I've googled and scanned these forums tons of time now, and cannot find one single working answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Network Failure when sending to Short Codes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's *228 not *226 - but in case that was a typo....

I would call CS and see if there is something they can do to reset your messaging settings.  Do you only have problems and errors sending to those two services?  Can you send to other short codes?

0 Likes
Makinso

*228, yes. Was a typo.

I guess I could go through the arduous task of trying to get customer service to do something. But no, it is with all short codes now. It just started happening one morning when I woke up to send a text back to someone messaging me from AIM. (25060 or something like that)

I figured maybe there was a change to their texting or something I missed.. but heck, maybe my phone is just a brick. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
budone
Legend

SuzyQ wrote:

It's *228 not *226 - but in case that was a typo....

I would call CS and see if there is something they can do to reset your messaging settings.  Do you only have problems and errors sending to those two services?  Can you send to other short codes?

SuzyQ, if premium messaging was blocked, would that block all shortcode messages?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Makinso wrote:

*228, yes. Was a typo.

I guess I could go through the arduous task of trying to get customer service to do something. But no, it is with all short codes now. It just started happening one morning when I woke up to send a text back to someone messaging me from AIM. (25060 or something like that)

I figured maybe there was a change to their texting or something I missed.. but heck, maybe my phone is just a brick. :smileyvery-happy:

Are you the account holder???

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

budone wrote:
...SuzyQ, if premium messaging was blocked, would that block all shortcode messages?

No, I have Premium messaging blocked (after getting billed for 2 services I never recall signing up for and had no interest in receiving!) but I use short codes all the time....I just sent a message to Google and got one back, so it seems to be working on my account.  I've also been "facebooking" today, via short codes.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Makinso wrote:

*228, yes. Was a typo.

As far as I know, there has been no change to texting....and if *228 and a battery pull doesn't get it working, then a call to CS is what I would do.  It's really can't be THAT painful, can it?  I've had very courteous, helpful reps most of the time when I call in.  It may be something very simple they can clear up in minutes...

Is there anything else that doesn't seem to be working right?  Regular texts, picture texts go through?

Do you use the mobile IM app to message with folks using AIM?

0 Likes
Makinso

Of course I'm the account owner, whoever asked that.

But yes, SuzyQ, everything else works normally. I'm going to just call CS tomorrow. You've convinced me to give it a go, haha.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes