Re: Mobile Im charges
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

Text and voice can not use the EV part of the network from what I have found. There have been rare occasions when in a building where only EV shows up, and you can not text or make calls. It is strickly data.

Howver since there are alot of 1X phones out there data can be sent over 1X. 

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Right. But for the purpose of Mobile IM any usage counts toward your text allowance; regardless of whether or not it's literally sending out a text message. You need to distiguish the difference between those two actions. So yes it's using your text allowance without connecting via the 1X network. If it didn't use your text allowance then the only other logical thing it could charge you for is MBs.

0 Likes
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

nmchileman wrote:

Right. But for the purpose of Mobile IM any usage counts toward your text allowance; regardless of whether or not it's literally sending out a text message. You need to distinguish the difference between those two actions. So yes it's using your text allowance without connecting via the 1X network. If it didn't use your text allowance then the only other logical thing it could charge you for is MBs.

Can you explain to me your statements:

1) "  But for the purpose of Mobile IM any usage counts toward your text allowance; regardless of whether or not it's literally sending out a
text message "

and

2) "  So yes it's using your text allowance without connecting via the 1X network "

1) How can you state that it will count towards tour text message if it does not send one out? Can you explain this?

2) Also as I stated, mobile IM messages do not show up in my text allowances for messages sent or received, so how does it count if it is NOT showing up what so ever in my allowances or details? Can you explain that?

You also can not send text on EV side as I mentioned, so you are not really making sense. EV side as I stated is not set up to handle text data, so it does not make sense for it to use or even countit as a text when it is seeing a data sesion.

jeez.gif

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

I already said I can't explain why it doesn't show up your any of your text details. One of my ideas is because (like you and I both agree) it's not considered an actual SMS because it's sent over EVDO. 

But I think you're missing the point on it being counted as a text message. It's for billing purposes only. We both realize the phone isn't actually sending out a SMS. But for the purpose of billing only it's considered a text message to deduct from your allowance. Like I said earlier if it wasn't considered a text message then it would charge you MBs instead. So the terminology being used for text message isn't that it's a SMS, it's just for billing purposes only. So, billing purposes only is the key point here. Not that it's literally a SMS text message. 

Language and syntax can be a very difficult thing to get one's head around; and big business usually don't help when the terminology can be somewhat (or extremely) vague. 

0 Likes
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

I understand what you are saying in regards to " acting like a text " but not a true one.

However, if they do not show on my text detail, then I can not be billed for " hidden " messages

Meaning if i am allocated 1000 messages, and VZW is staing that I used 1500, thus charging me $250, and I go and look at my text details, and it shows only 999, then where are the other 501 messages that you are saying that I am charged for?

Good question

0 Likes