Mobile IM Charges
runner58

I got mobile im and and i also got unlimited messages. Do i get charged data or airtime minutes for using it or am i covered fully if i have unlimited text and dont have to worry about any  other charges? IF so why does the icon data session appear when i use Mobile Im

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Mobile IM Charges
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

runner58 wrote:

I got mobile im and and i also got unlimited messages. Do i get charged data or airtime minutes for using it or am i covered fully if i have unlimited text and dont have to worry about any  other charges? IF so why does the icon data session appear when i use Mobile Im

Each IM sent/recevied does count as one text. So you are covered there. When signing in/out of IM you will use air time minutes yes. Actually when you see that little tinny phone on the top your screen that is when you are using air time minutes.

0 Likes
arichard21

TheGreatOne wrote:

runner58 wrote:

Each IM sent/recevied does count as one text. So you are covered there. When signing in/out of IM you will use air time minutes yes. Actually when you see that little tinny phone on the top your screen that is when you are using air time minutes.

BUT, that data is covered under the usage terms. you should never see data usage from things like mobile IM or pix messaging, UNLESS you DO NOT have an unlimited messaging plan.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

arichard21 is correct - unlimited texting and MobileIM do not cause data charges.   Yes, the little data icon is showing, and data is being transferred, but is not charged on your account if it is simply connecting to your Mobile IM and sending/receiving  messages - it's all counted as text.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

SuzyQ wrote:

arichard21 is correct - unlimited texting and MobileIM do not cause data charges.   Yes, the little data icon is showing, and data is being transferred, but is not charged on your account if it is simply connecting to your Mobile IM and sending/receiving  messages - it's all counted as text.

I am not correct about Mobile IM for air time minutes????:smileysad:
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

TheGreatOne wrote:
I am not correct about Mobile IM for air time minutes????:smileysad: Sorry TheGreatOne - you are not correct on that point - it does NOT use minutes, and is not charged as data - simply text messages.  I have my Mobile IM logged in for hours at a time....no minutes used, no data charges (I have no data plan), only text.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

SuzyQ wrote:

Sorry TheGreatOne - you are not correct on that point - it does NOT use minutes, and is not charged as data - simply text messages.  I have my Mobile IM logged in for hours at a time....no minutes used, no data charges (I have no data plan), only text.

When you first opened mobile IM, you were prompted with a message of air time minutes being used. I can't remember what the exact message said...it said something along those lines though.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The original download of the app (if it wasn't already installed on the phone) would use MB.  After that, no.  And the only time it could possibly use "airtime" minutes is if you were on the old America's Choice plan that used minutes instead of megabytes for data calculations.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

SuzyQ wrote:

The original download of the app (if it wasn't already installed on the phone) would use MB.  After that, no.  And the only time it could possibly use "airtime" minutes is if you were on the old America's Choice plan that used minutes instead of megabytes for data calculations.

I wish I could remember what the message said! :smileysad:  I'll see it I believe when I get a new verizon phone this summer. Thanks for clarification.

0 Likes