Messages+ makes no sound
lklawrie
Enthusiast - Level 1

S20 phone (Samsung).  Messages+ does not make sounds when notified.

I looked at the previous phone (S7) and it didn't either.  I did not look at the S4 -- all of which we still have.

HELP.

Linda

0 Likes
Re: Messages+ makes no sound
mama23dogs
Legend

Messages plus has customizations, including the ability to add custom sounds.  
in the top left corner on your phone click on the 3 bars.  
then click on customize. You have the options to choose a an alert or silence. Then go down to where it says sound, this is where you can select a custom sound either from the ones already on your device or download it from a third-party application like Zedge.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We'll get to the bottom of your notification issues. Are you only having this issue within the Message+ app? Also, how long has this been going on?

lklawrie
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think the issue has been going on a while.  It is my husband's phone and unless he notices the vibrate when things come in, he won't get important messages (like when he needed to knock on a door to get to a medical appt).

Coincidently, if I look at the system sound -- it says "Galaxy" but if I try to change it it shows ringtones -- again, even if selected no sound shows.

As a possible further hint, the extensions on the file names are shown -- whereas they are not on my phone.  This phone (S20) was bought in March 2020.  We had had the S7 for quite some time -- it seems (still have the phone) that the problem was there as well.

Linda

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Galaxy may not make any sound.  Try and pick something else.  

I have a fairly obnoxious 'jetsons' sound set up. 

Screenshot_20201130-101901_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
lklawrie
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you are referring to the "system sound", I don't care if Galaxy sound makes no sound, the point is that I can't select the regular 4 or 5 system sounds from the system sound screen.

In any case, if I try to select something (it is showing me the regular ringtone screen including extensions on files), it doesn't select and it doesn't make any sound.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Well now we’re getting somewhere, sort of.   Not allowing you to select a sound other than the default “Galaxy” is a defect.  Is it possible those files are empty Or corrupted?  Have you tried downloading sound from a 3rd party app?

0 Likes
lklawrie
Enthusiast - Level 1

I suppose either is possible.  Corrupted or empty system sounds.

I am not sure where the system sounds are stored or what they look like.

I don't think a 3rd party sound app would have been used.  Unless used all the way back to an S4.

How would I figure out -- any of the above.

Linda

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Iklawrie, 

Let's figure this out, so we can ensure you receive your notifications. If none of the sounds are working on your device, you can use the Verizon Tones app, or any third party app on the Play Store to download a new sound or ringtone. Once downloaded, you can set it as the tone for message notifications. Please give this a try, and let us know if a downloaded sound works for you. 

https://www.verizon.com/articles/ringtones-how-to-get-and-use-them/

Thank you, 

MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes
lklawrie
Enthusiast - Level 1

Only the Messages+ app (and system sound) does not have sounds.  Messages app does.  and all other sounds appear to be working -- including one that comes thru about 8am that we can't identify.

I don't want to pay extra.....

Linda

0 Likes