Message+ app does not show member name to group.
bert3673
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why doesn't the members of my group text see the names of the members in the group?

Message+ 6.6.7 Galaxy Note8, Software update N950USQS5CRG9, Android ver. 8.0.0

Labels (1)
Re: Message+ app does not show member name to group.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bert3673, we want to make sure everything is working properly with your Message Plus application.  To clarify, what do your group text messages currently show instead of the names of the members in the group?  When did this first start with that application? 

Sean_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Are you saying the recipients of your group message are not receiving/seeing names?  Do they have each of the numbers in their contacts list?  On my Droid Turbo 2 with Message+ v6.6.7, my group texts show me the names of the group members that are in my Contacts List.  I'm not sure what the recipients of my group texts see, but I would suspect number only unless they have us in their Contact Lists as well.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
bert3673
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sean_VZW,

The members of the group only see the contact # for the other

individuals in the group message. This is true even if the members of the

group have that # as a contact in their phone contacts. Not all members are

using the Message+ app, not all are on android based phones (some

i-Phones), not all Verizon customers. If any of these are related to the

lack of contact name display, I will just scrap the group and do something

different.

As to when it started, I dont have a timeframe or revision #.

Thanks,

Robert

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the added details on your experience with the contacts, bert3673. When using the Group feature of Message+, this is the normal experience with the names and numbers. When selecting MMS, names will appear as they normally would in a group message. When you go to compose a group text, at the top, you will see the option 'Recipients reply to' Group, MMS, or Just Me. When you select MMS, it will compose a standard group message like you are accustomed to that will display contacts for all individuals in the thread.

Nicole_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bert3673
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the clarification on this issue, although the functionality

you described makes no sense. Why would the "Group"feature not show the

contacts name in the group like an MMS? Is it to provide anonymity to all

the members of the group from the other members and have only the sender

know whom all the members are in the group? If so, what is the point of

the "Group"function? Why create a group where the members of the group are

blind to the identity of each other, and can only reply knowingly to the

sender? This seems to defeat the function of a group. I'm inclined to

delete the Message+ app and just use the standard messaging app as the

Message+ doesn't really provide additional functionality, just complicates

what should be a simple process.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 9:28 AM vzw_customer_support <

bjlay
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any chance someone from Verizon could respond to the last comment?  I am having the same issue and I agree with the last comment.  There is no reason anyone would want to send a group message and not allow others to sync their contacts with who is responding.

skroth67
Enthusiast - Level 1

yes this is true...even if they are in their contacts it only shows the number.  it seems it's people with iPhone or not using the Verizon Message+ app...so basically everyone else!?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for checking in with us on this, skroth67. That's correct. People using other messaging apps and services may only show with their phone number. You can learn more about using the features of the Messages+ app here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-use-verizon-messages-android/ EricW_VZW

0 Likes
7cskowronski
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi! I seem to be having the same issue as users above. My contacts have their proper names display in the conversatino title (e.g. Person X, person Y, Person Z) yet have their correspondance to the group display as xxx-xxx-xxxx and yyy-yyy-yyyy. This results in a very confusing situation given that I cannot properly identify who sent the message without frequent look ups of contacts, which is understandably inconvenient. Is there no way to adjust the group chat or message+ settings so that their names accurately display instead of their phone numbers?