Message + App, Still Not Campatible with Android Smartwatches
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

I noticed that Verizon is now selling Google's New Pixel 3 XL Phone.  I was wondering If there was any chance of Verizon working with Google to FINALLY CORRECT the issue of; the Verizon Message Plus App NOT being compatible with Google's Android Smartwatch Software (IE: Wear OS).  A Prompt & Honest Answer would be greatly appreciated...Thanx.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Message + App, Still Not Campatible with Android Smartwatches
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Android-General/New-Verizon-Wear-OS-Compatible-Smartwatch/m...

As of July 2019, It appears Movboi Tic Watch; in conjunction with Verizon has developed an Android Smartwatch that's actally compatible with the Verizon Network.  The watch is called The Tic Watch Pro 4G LTE and it even has cellular capabilities.  This smartwatch is Exclusive ONLY to Verizon and it costs $299.  It appears this smartwatch is the only Android Smartwatch that's compatible to the Verizon Network.

For more info on this new watch, see attached link Above...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, JOG0277. I'm glad our newest Google device has caught your attention but I'm disappointed to hear you've run into any issues with Verizon Messages (Message+) working with Android Wear. We have worked closely with application developers and Google to get you the best performance possible across all your devices. Can you tell me more about exactly what you're experiencing after you download Verizon Messages from the Google Play Store and turn-on Advance Calling from Settings and finally Android Wear? What model phone and what Android smartwatch are you using?

Jennifer_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

This has been an on going problem with Verizon since the beginning of 2018.  This issue affects All Android Smartwatches that are being used on the Verizon Network.  I have the LG Watch Sport Smartwatch (Model W280A) and I was using it on the Verizon Network.  I previously updated my smartwatch software to Android Wear Oreo (now called Wear OS).  Immediately after updating the software; the Verizon Message Plus App was no longer visible on my smartwatch. This resulted in me not being able to send or receive messages on my Watch.  I tried everything to correct the issue; I called customer service,  I uninstalled / reinstalled apps and I reset my watch; but nothing seemed to work.  Then I realized, that there is a Bug inside of the Android Wear Software that prevents the Verizon Message Plus App from working.  I've complained to Verizon on numerous occasions about this, but Verizon doesn't seem interested in solving the problem (see attached link below for additional Info).  As it stands now; there are no Android Smartwatches that will work on the Verizon Network due to this issue (Samsung Smartwatches are not Android Smartwatches)....If Verizon wants to contunue making a profit by selling android watches to their customers, then they need to fix this issue....Hopefully this time around, my discussion doesn't get  "Locked-Out"  by a Moderator and Verizon actually decides to solve this problem.

Issues with Verizon Message App on Andriod Wear Oreo

JohnnyGman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Samsung Note 8, running Android OS 7.1.1 and a Moto 360 Sport running Android Wear 2.17.

The Message+ App on my watch stopped working in December 2017 (presumably when I updated the Android Wear OS).  However, notifications continued to work, and I could reply from notifications.

Yesterday, I unwittingly decided to try to fix this.  I first cleared the Message+ app cache on the watch. That did not help, so I tried to clear the Message+ app data on the watch.  That too, did not help.  At this point, the Message+ app was still on my watch, and the Message+ notifications still worked.  I then uninstalled the Message+ app from my watch.  When I went to the Play Store on my watch to reinstall it, I noticed that it was not there!  I no longer receive notifications on my watch for SMS/MMS; even though Message+ is set to send notifications in the Wear OS app on my phone.

I only then started to search the internet to find that Verizon has been sitting on this for 7-10 months now, and done nothing to remedy it!  This is completely absurd!!

It's bad enough that Verizon never updated the Message+ app on the watch to utilize the new inputs (keyboard & handwriting) that Google started including in the new Wear OS, but dropping support for wearables all together is completely unacceptable!

JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

I'm not sure WHEN or even IF  Verizon will EVER correct this issue.  But I did some research and found a temporary solution to the problem.  Go to the Google Playstore and download the "Pulse SMS App" onto your phone and Smartwatch.  It's one of the FEW messaging apps that actually works on the Android Smartwatch Software. This app works with the Verizon Message Plus App but does not need to be set as the Default Messaging App in order to work.  If you use any other messaging app (IE: Google Messages) , you will need to set that new app as your default messaging App in order  for it to work ( therefore canceling out the Verizon Message app).  The Pulse App will restore your ability  to send and receive messages on your smartwatch and it also allows you to send & receive messages from a computer.  The Pulse App charges a small monthly fee of 1 dollar per month for it's use.  I've been using this app for the past few months and it works GREAT!!... $1 Dollar per month may be an annoying bill to pay, but at least you'll have your messaging capabilities restored...Cause there's no telling WHEN or even IF Verizon will resolve this issue.

0 Likes
simplepinoi177
Enthusiast - Level 2

Add me (another one) to think this is quite ridiculous.

Actually, I was having mine work up until 2.1 update! In the same way I was able to get it installed, I can now confirm that even if you do get it installed, it refuses to work now!!!

I was previously using Fossil Q Explorist Gen 3 running Wear OS 2.0. I did notice that verizon messages app was unavailable in the store for download. Knowing this, and many other apps, would tend to do this, and also knowing that Wear OS is most likely based off of the main Android OS (candy) and therefore would most likely be able to run apps in the same environment, I set upon how to manually transfer and load custom .apk's like I do with my Pixel 2 XL. In the end, I was able to install this and other apps via debugging through bluetooth and using the android platform-tools' adb commands! In mid-September, I sold that watch and upgraded to the Fossil Q Explorist HR (Gen 4), but due to certain circumstances, I wasn't able to set it up and use it til last week. I do the same process, but then find that, no matter what, it no longer works!

I am able to get adb to successfully install it -- it actually states "success" in the prompt -- and it actually shows up with its icon in the app drawer. I can even go into its app info and permissions. When first running it, it will even ask the appropriate permissions to access the contacts, messages, and "storage". But after that, it either force closes and kicks me back to the watchface or merely freezes and times out until I click the power/home button.

So I wanted to throw in my nod and support about this issue as well as to inform the others on some other ideas on Wear OS and its relationship with apps...

0 Likes
simplepinoi177
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, I wanted to thank JOG0277 for his suggestion. I do also wish that Messages+ would merely work, but at least having another option is nice. Thank you again.

0 Likes
JohnnyGman
Enthusiast - Level 2

simplepinoi177​, after you get adb to install Message+, do the notifications at least start to work again?  After I unwittingly uninstalled Message+, no matter what I've tried, I don't get SMS/MMS Notifications sent to my watch; even though it is enabled in the Wear OS App.

0 Likes
simplepinoi177
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's where I'm a little fuzzy on the issue...

It seems every time I reset my Explorist HR and update to 2.1 (it's stock is 2.0 and works perfectly), my message notifications are terrible and is inconsistent at best. And I'm never sure if it's just my watch, my setup, or the OS. In any case, I did what JOG0277​ suggested and am now currently use (or at least trying to use) the Pulse messaging app. Here's the rub; It was working perfectly 2 days ago, and stopped working right yesterday and today! So I'm not even sure, as well as I'm not even getting proper notifications (from calendar). I'm leaning that this is an OS 2.1 issue, and it's been a headache constantly resetting my watch because it's a headache re-validating all my cards for Google Pay on the watch (am forced to literally call and speak to banks to confirm) so I'm reluctant to do that -- but it doesn't seem like I have a choice. So I'll report back here after I reset it to see what other symptoms come up.

So, I'm not sure what you can take out of the experience, but that is how it's going on with me...hope it helps some...

[removed]

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

No Problem....Glad I could Help...    Smiley Happy

0 Likes