Re: Mechanics of Reporting Text Spam
greghw
Enthusiast - Level 1

Having to change your phone number because of Spam issues is only a temporary fix, and a huge hassle when you have hundreds of contacts.  The best option would be for someone to trace the sender and put a stop to it.

Oleg21
Enthusiast - Level 1

There is a spammer account on AT&T network, which continues to rotate (change) numbers and send me SMS spam. Some numbers recently used (they all belong to AT&T Wireless):

949-668-5333
917-209-3150
949-397-1243
765-325-0043
949-550-5260
949-615-6089
503-300-8815
858-382-6779
909-719-1630

The texts are obvious spam and contain words like "partner horny", “Produce Testosterone”, “Burn … Fat” or "PURE CBD Oil".

All SMS come from the same spammer, because they contain the word “KATINA” (this is probably what they think my name is).

Please help to shut them down!!
Thank you!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Changing your phone number is one way to combat spammers, greghw. As you point out, though, it is only temporary and it is a huge hassle for the victim. While there are blocking options, you may also want to consider involving the FTC on this. See “How to Report Spam Text Messages” on this page http://spr.ly/6606Gnhce for further information.

GeorgeS_VZW

0 Likes
LiseNeer
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you have an iPhone, iOS 13 and up allow you to block by selecting "Silence Unknown Callers" in Settings/Phone. 

"Calls from unknown numbers will be silenced, sent to voicemail, and displayed on the Recents list. Incoming calls will continue to ring from people in your contacts, recent outgoing calls, and Siri Suggestions."

Just found out, and will see how it goes. . .

0 Likes
MyNumberNotYours

LiseNeer, even this is not a good option. We need a HARD BLOCK option; NOT an option that sends things to my voicemail and fills up my voicemail or sends to 'recent calls' and also can fill up call logs. About 10 years ago, FCC asked for RFC about "What are the best ideas to prevent junk calls & texts;" and about 3 of us got the "top idea" - one guy submitted it just before I submitted mine: MAKE *ALL* CALLS 'WHITE-LIST-ONLY' and 'OPT-IN-ONLY' - and have a "buffer" or "hard block" that rejects the caller and says, "Sorry, you're not on the white-list/opt-in for the number you are texting or calling - you must find another way to contact them and be placed on their accepted list." THIS IS *THE* ONLY WAY that people will get back to normal - additionally, SHAME & FINE THE SPAMMERS - YOU, as Verizon (and AT&T and Sprint and T-Mobile, etc.) ** ACCEPT MONEY ** WHEN SOMEONE PAYS YOU FOR THESE PHONE NUMBERS 'FROM' WHERE THE SPAM ORIGINATES! The other part of the winning idea is "CHARGE INSTANT 'CREDIT CARD' FINE TO ABUSERS!" They sign your agreement when they PAY YOU for the phone number they are using for spamming - JUST MAKE "INSTANT CREDIT CARD FINES" part of the agreement! DONE/FIXED! It really IS that simple! And guess what, soon, ALL (99.99%) of the spam goes away, because NOBODY wants to be fined $2,000.00 per SPAM INCIDENT (text or phone spam)! Also, make it a FELONY - nobody wants to be a felon - well, most people probably don't.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MyNumberNotYours, 

We understand these calls or frustration. I have gotten them myself and am just annoyed as you. I do check my Voicemail to delete the blocked calls, but there is not a good way to stop multiple numbers. We can block a few numbers for 90 days if you are getting the same phone number calling you. 

We appreciate you reaching out. You can also check out our Call Filter https://www.verizon.com/support/call-filter-faqs/ for additional options. 

JenelleW_vzw 

0 Likes
sandollar

Agree. changing numbers is not an option.  Easy out for Verizon. A cop-out.

0 Likes